Polaris High Efficiency Water heaters

compass

I ran across a Polaris High Efficiency water heater used to supply hot water for the homes heating system. (combination system with the hot water heater coupled to a fan coil unit)

The water heater is 10 years old. Does anyone have any experience with these units? What is the expected life for them?

The unit appeared to be in good condition except for 2 galvanized elbows used to connect the heating loop. The elbow are on the verge of failure with heavy corrosion / rust.

Hi,

Yeah, I see the Bio-Radiant systems here all the time plumbed with PEX and coupled to water heaters. Don't know about where you are, but, around here, I see water heaters lasting about 10 to 15 years. I've seen a few where the water heaters had been replaced at about 6 to 8 years, so there may be a penalty for all of that extra BTU output and the extra work they do.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by compass

I ran across a Polaris High Efficiency water heater used to supply hot water for the homes heating system. (combination system with the hot water heater coupled to a fan coil unit)

The water heater is 10 years old. Does anyone have any experience with these units? What is the expected life for them?

Apollo systems and Lennox Complete Heat systems are pretty popular around here but I've only seen two Polaris systems. They all seem to work well.

When I inspect them, they always seem to be recent installations so I really haven't developed a sense for how long they'll last. My hunch is that the high efficiency heaters won't last as long as the mid-efficiency ones.

The unit appeared to be in good condition except for 2 galvanized elbows used to connect the heating loop. The elbow are on the verge of failure with heavy corrosion / rust.

They're probably not indicative of the tank condition and they're easy enough to replace. Around here, most water heaters have a pair of galvanized nipples at the inlet & outlet connections. These nipples always rust out prematurely. What are the installers thinking? It's not as if a pair of bronze nipples are all that expensive.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

This will be of interest:

NEWS from CPSC

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Ken Giles

September 25, 1996 (301) 504-7052

Release # 96-191

CPSC, American Water Heater Group Announce Free Home Repair of LP Polaris Comfort Systems

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Mor-Flo Industries Inc., doing business as the American Water Heater Group of Johnson City, Tenn., is announcing a voluntary recall program to repair approximately 6,500 LP Polaris Comfort Systems combination water heaters and home heating systems. Under certain circumstances, fuel gas may ignite explosively, causing property damage or injury.

The American Water Heater Group is aware of 104 incidents of heater damage and three incidents in which property damage extended beyond the heater. No injuries have been reported.

This retrofit involves Polaris Comfort Systems water heaters with the following model numbers:

PR34LPGV, PR50LPGV, PR34LPGFV, PR50LPGFV, PC100-34LPGV, PC100-50LPGV, PBG102-34S100-2P, PBG102-50T100-2P, PBCG32-34S100-2P, PBCG32-50S100-2P, PBCG52-34S100-2P, PBCG52-50S100-2P, DVPB35LPGV, PVG-34S100-2P,

The model numbers are located on an identification/data plate on the front center of the exterior of the heater, about three feet above the floor.

Heating and cooling contractors sold the heaters nationwide from 1985 to July 1996 for about $2,200.

Consumers should immediately call the American Water Heater Group at (800) 456-9805 or write to the company's Product Services and Support Group at P.O. Box 1597, Johnson City, Tenn. 37605. The company will arrange installation of a free safety upgrade kit. For more information, consumers should call American Water Heater Group.

---

• 6 years later...