Stone Veneer Support

voight

I have 2 issues to discuss.

1. I frequently see what appears to be light weight stone veneer that does not have lintels over windows and doors. It is applied to the wall with the same technique as stucco with a wire lath. I know IRC 2000 calls for a steel lintel to support the stone veneer over window and door openings. I would like some opinions on this issue.

2. I also know that masonry veneer should be supported by triple rafters and a steel angle when supported by a wood framed roof. What if the chimney is next to the gable end of the home and one side (stone veneer siding) is supported by a gable end roof truss? Does the gable end truss need to be doubled or tripled. Any feedback would be greately appreciated.

Dave Voight

Acworth GA

Originally posted by voight

1. I frequently see what appears to be light weight stone veneer that does not have lintels over windows and doors. It is applied to the wall with the same technique as stucco with a wire lath. I know IRC 2000 calls for a steel lintel to support the stone veneer over window and door openings. I would like some opinions on this issue.

It sounds like you're describing manufactured stone (aka cultured stone, a brand name), which is not really stone at all. That being the case, I don't know if the IRC code would apply. I have it on my house, and installed it myself. The company that made mine does not spec lintels for openings like doors and windows, but I put in 2" aluminum angle ones anyway because my common sense said to.

If done properly, it's a lot tougher than you might think. My house was only 6 months old when a 100 mph straight-line wind storm blew through and put a 90 ft. pine tree into the back of my house (roof and gable wall). It hit above a long wall of that stuff and went through the gable wall (gable was vinyl over plywood) and ripped down to the top plate. Didn't knock out a single piece.

2. I also know that masonry veneer should be supported by triple rafters and a steel angle when supported by a wood framed roof. What if the chimney is next to the gable end of the home and one side (stone veneer siding) is supported by a gable end roof truss? Does the gable end truss need to be doubled or tripled. Any feedback would be greately appreciated.

That I couldn't tell you. If it's the man-made stuff, it's a lot lighter than the real thing. You can stick a piece right in the center of an open wall, and it won't fall. I guess it's really a question of whether the code applys to this particular material or not.

Brian G.

Dude, I Got So Stoned ay My House!