Amtrol Boilermate leak

Inspectorjoe

I encountered yet another leaking Amtrol Boilermate last week. This one is 4 years old. It seems to be a relatively common problem that I've encountered a number of times. The external leak at the bottom plate is typically coupled with a high surface temperature at the top of the tank, indicating that an internal leak may have saturated the insulation, allowing thermal convection.

Some of this I know from personal experience, having owned two that have leaked in the same manner. Mine were branded New Yorker, but they were built by Amtrol. The first started leaking at about 10 months old. It was replaced under warranty, labor included. That replacement unit started leaking last year, when it was 9 years old. New Yorker replaced that one! They didn't cover the labor that time, but I gladly installed it myself. Kudos to New Yorker.

So anyway, this is what I wrote in the report:

"The water heater is leaking from where the boiler supply and return lines pass through at the bottom. Warm surface temperatures at the top of the water heater may indicate that the water heater is also leaking internally, between the inner tank and outer shell. The water heater should be fully evaluated by a qualified plumber who is familiar with this type of water heater and repaired or replaced as needed."

The seller had a plumber look at it. He said he didn't see anything wrong, and maybe what I saw was from steam or condensation.[:-banghea

I've searched online for information about this specific issue, but surprisingly found only some anecdotal stuff. Does anyone know of any published documentation about this? I normally don't get involved in buyer/seller disputes, but the buyer is a really nice guy and I've got WAY too much time on my hands this week. I'd like to help him out.

Image Insert:

200782284445_Picture%20053.jpg

34.61 KB

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Inspectorjoe

I encountered yet another leaking Amtrol Boilermate last week. This one is 4 years old. It seems to be a relatively common problem that I've encountered a number of times. The external leak at the bottom plate is typically coupled with a high surface temperature at the top of the tank, indicating that an internal leak may have saturated the insulation, allowing thermal convection.

Some of this I know from personal experience, having owned two that have leaked in the same manner. Mine were branded New Yorker, but they were built by Amtrol. The first started leaking at about 10 months old. It was replaced under warranty, labor included. That replacement unit started leaking last year, when it was 9 years old. New Yorker replaced that one! They didn't cover the labor that time, but I gladly installed it myself. Kudos to New Yorker.

So anyway, this is what I wrote in the report:

"The water heater is leaking from where the boiler supply and return lines pass through at the bottom. Warm surface temperatures at the top of the water heater may indicate that the water heater is also leaking internally, between the inner tank and outer shell. The water heater should be fully evaluated by a qualified plumber who is familiar with this type of water heater and repaired or replaced as needed."

The seller had a plumber look at it. He said he didn't see anything wrong, and maybe what I saw was from steam or condensation.[:-banghea

I've searched online for information about this specific issue, but surprisingly found only some anecdotal stuff. Does anyone know of any published documentation about this? I normally don't get involved in buyer/seller disputes, but the buyer is a really nice guy and I've got WAY too much time on my hands this week. I'd like to help him out.

Image Insert:

200782284445_Picture%20053.jpg

34.61 KB

We have a leaking Amtrol boilermate about five yrs old.

Its under warranty,but the plumber said labor was

not included and wants to charge us $2500?! We're

in Santa Fe,NM where scams are the norm.If anyone

out there has info about getting this fixed in SF please

e-mail:kimmi99x@aol.com

We currently have no heat or hot water,and we've

got two little kids.

tel:505-988-7695

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Joe,

Have you called Amtrol about this yet? Seems like the seller should realize that "steam" would mean a crack someplace and how in the world does condensation take place on a warm pipe?

The photo tells the tale. Tell your customer to stick to his guns. Do they do a hold back where you are? Around here, buyers would probably demand that a certain amount be placed in escrow at closing until they can have their own boiler guy inspect and repair the boiler. Once the repairs are paid for, the balance is refunded to the seller.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by windrain

We have a leaking Amtrol boilermate about five yrs old.

Its under warranty,but the plumber said labor was

not included and wants to charge us $2500?! We're

in Santa Fe,NM where scams are the norm.If anyone

out there has info about getting this fixed in SF please

e-mail:kimmi99x@aol.com

We currently have no heat or hot water,and we've

got two little kids.

tel:505-988-7695

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Hi,

Go to HeatingHelp.com and click on "The Wall" and see if any of the heating guys there can suggest anything.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Joe,

Have you called Amtrol about this yet? Seems like the seller should realize that "steam" would mean a crack someplace and how in the world does condensation take place on a warm pipe?

The photo tells the tale. Tell your customer to stick to his guns. Do they do a hold back where you are? Around here, buyers would probably demand that a certain amount be placed in escrow at closing until they can have their own boiler guy inspect and repair the boiler. Once the repairs are paid for, the balance is refunded to the seller.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Mike, did you check the date I posted that?

I didn't call Amtrol. The buyer paid a plumber to look at it. He said something along the line of "yep, she's aleakin' alright." The seller replaced it.

Yes, they hold money in escrow around here. If I have a naive buyer and get the feeling that his agent (now don't be shocked) ........ doesn't have his best interest in mind, I sometimes bring it up.

Kim:

Sorry I missed your call. Call me Tuesday morning and we can discuss it.