furnace trouble

caws1111

We have a Borg Warner natural gas hot air furnance and it has been turning itself off, basically not firing itself up when the temp goes below the designated amount. We have a new thermostat which is not the problem.

On the outside of our furnace box is a switch that turns the power to the furnace on and off. When the furnance wont kick on I have checked the pilot light and it is fine. When I turn the switch to off and back on, it kicks the furnace back on and fires it up. So I think the problem is with the switch or the connection of that mechinism inside the furnace. I have read somewhere that the mechisim or conductor may need cleaning. the furnance is 15 years old and we have had no other problems with it. Also once we flip that switch off and on again it works for several days, then does the same thing over again.

Has anyone heard of this problem and does anyone know how to solve it.

Choice 1) You could install a transformer to get 12volts DC, and hook a 12 volt push/ pull solenoid to a timer, connect the solenoid to some linkage with heim joints at each end. Connect the linkage to the on/off switch. Every 12 to 24 hours the solenoid will flip the switch on and off and that'll take care of it. There should be a flame sensor in the circuitry to avoid cycling the furnace if it's on.

Choice 2) call a furnace guy

Choice 3) send a pic of furnace so we know what kind of controls it has

Choice 4) see choice 2

It's unlikely that the problem is in the power switch to the furnace, but when you flip it on and off you're probably cycling a stuck relay or a relay w/ corroded or worn contacts. Honestly, with the limited information you supplied it's near impossible to arrive at a diagnosis.

Well,

Since we are inspectors, the logical recommendation is #2. If it behaved that way during an inspection, I wouldn't even attempt to figure it out, because it could be a number of things and eat up too much time. I'd just write it up and refer it to the pro for analysis and correction.

It does sound like burnt contacts in a relay though. Where are you George?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm With Chad. The system is locking out for some reason. Interrupting the power is resetting the electronics. It could be any one of 1/2 dozen common reasons or... Trouble shooting over the phone is next to impossible, Over the internet, it is downright dangerous.

see #2

Chad,

B.T.W.

#1 is nothing less than brilliant.

I just wanted you to know that it didn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

I may even try to obtain a U.S. patent on it. I will call it "Emergency Safety Lockout Override".

I'll cut you in for a small piece of the action.

George

Originally posted by billygoat22

#2 the flame sensor is not functioning correctly

Billy,

I am two posts late, but welcome to TIJ. It is nice to see another heating guy here. I'll bet you already know, flame rectification is more than a pilot sensor.

We just had to transfer a serviceman to installation here at my sons company because of his 47% call back ratio. His biggest shortcoming was that he cleaned or replaced the flame sensor on every lockout call. Within two days, it was a no heat call again.

As he said in his own defense, he was correct 53% of the time. As you no doubt know, that is not nearly good enough.

With todays litigious society, to protect myself and this forum, I actually try to avoid home owner DIY questions. I am sure you understand that too.

George

Tell us something about yourself. Fill out your profile. We are like family here, we bicker, but we will all do anything to help out a guy we just called a bone head when he needs it.

We also have a few very lovely ladies here too so we have to be 1/2 civil. As anyone can tell you, I am 1/2 civil.

George

put some info in profile. Been doing more net surfing since getting over hernia operation, sitting at home more now.

Decided to find some more varied educational sites to visit, like this one.

Even if I don't fix it I can point out a problem. In one home there was a questionable breaker I pointed out, the ho had an electrician look at the breaker, and when he pulled it out it fell apart and arced on the bus bars, literally exploding in his face.