Start up Marketing

sepefrio

I'd just like to get some opinions here as to how people would market today if they were just starting out. Don't reply with what you have done the last 5 years, go on the assumption that you have just started in business, have ZERO contacts and are starting from scratch. Also, lets give two types of answers, one where money isn't a concern and the other where your only eating hot dogs every other day as it is.

So, your new, how would you market yourself today?

This answer will probably get me shot but one angle in is to actually go work as a realtors assistant in the largest organization in town for about six months.

You'll learn alot about the biz from their viewpoint and have a great opportunity to meet a lot of realtors and build relationships.

I actually did that and I would consider doing it again if I had to.

Chris, Oregon

The associations are not going to help all that much in driving business your way, sure you might get a few but that will not keep you in business. I had to start from scratch when I moved to Tennessee from Mississippi. I left a 10 year old established business and moved to nothing.

My website has by far been my best marketing tool. It has provided a steady stream of calls from buyers looking for an inspection.

My next best marketing tool has been direct mailing of letters to agents in the area. About once a month I stop by the grocery store and pick up several of the real estate for sale booklets. I then mail a letter that basically says "Hi, why don't you give me a chance to help your client!" and I include about three cards and I send it to the agent at the address in the ad.

I keep signs on my truck 24/7. If we drive it to church, or any other event it has my signs on it. Whenever I go to my sons athletic events I wear one of my logo shirts. I even sponsored a little league baseball team for $250, so now I have twelve 12 year old boys playing baseball two times a week for 9 weeks and a sign at the ballpark. I'm always advertising.

This is what I have done to rebuild my business. I still have a good deal of building to go, but I'm very satisfied with the success I have had so far.

Scott,

I have tried marketing to realtors about their listings. Not by letter, but stopping by the office and pitching the idea. Most if not all, think that a buyer is going to look at the inspection as invalid, cuz its the realtors' inspector.

What language are you using to get by this? Or have I just not found the right realtors yet? You send the letter to the address or to the realtors office?

thanks

Originally posted by NJinspector

Scott,

I have tried marketing to Realtors about their listings. Not by letter, but stopping by the office and pitching the idea. Most if not all, think that a buyer is going to look at the inspection as invalid, cuz its the realtors' inspector.

What language are you using to get by this? Or have I just not found the right realtors yet? You send the letter to the address or to the realtors office?

thanks

I'm not marketing to them about their listings, I'm using the ad's to get their names and address. If several agents are listed with one company, I pick the ones who have the most listings or who's signs I might have seen around town. I want to deal with the top producers and not the agents who are living pay check to pay check. As with any mailing you might get a 3% to 5% response. My goal is to get my name, company name and business cards in front of them.

The envelopes are not hand addressed and I use my name and not the company name for the return address.

The letters are short this is a sample of what I have sent:

Hi! My name is Scott Patterson, I own Trace Inspections. The next time you have a client who needs a home inspection or you have a question about a issue with a home I would be honored to help. I have enclosed a few business cards as I do not have any in your office.

Thank you for your time,

Scott Patterson

615-302-1113

I don't go on about how great I am or how long I have been inspecting. I don't say a word about my fees. My cards have a good deal of information on them if they want to read it.

Starting over today I would concentrate on a web site and web placement. I would do this regardless of my budget. In my experience, people who do not use an inspector chosen from a reeltor referral list will find an inspector through a referral from a friend or lawyer, or by doing web research. Get a nice clean site, keep improving your site and ranking, and separate yourself from your competition. The value of a web based marketing approach is not going to decrease with time. The next generation(s) of homebuyers have been using the web since they were little kids. It is second nature for young consumers to 'check out' everything on line. Even if a buyer gets your name from a reeltor, they are going to vet you on the web. More often than not, a young buyer is going to do all of their home buying research on line. That research will tell them to get an inspector, it will tell them where to look for an inspector, what to look for in an inspector, etc. Make sure their research leads them to you.

IMO the second most important to do when starting out is to realize that there is no such thing as having zero contacts. There are no more than two degrees of separation between any person in this country and a reeltor. No more than three degrees between you and a broker, a buyer, an investor, a lawyer, a banker etc. These are the cows that MUST be milked when starting out. Get nice, quality business cards and get them into the hands of every friend, cousin, acquaintance, reeltor, former colleague, frat brother..... and most importantly, satisfied clients.

Tim

• 4 months later...

I have a related question so I thought I'd post it here. In the area that I live/intend to work there are only 12 registered home inspectors with the OAHI. When I looked them up I found generally their websites weren't graet. I'm sure with so few (in my opinion) RHI there isn't a big demand for marketing once they have an established referal network. Ok here's the question (sorry I'm long winded at times).... As part of my business plan, I am intending to puchase thermal imaging equipment. This would seem to be a "One up" on the competition. Do you feel that this sort of technology gap will lead to increase in business?