Ohio Licensing bill

I have been told that the members of the Ohio house Labor & Commerce committee are planning to vote on a Licensing bill next Tuesday (4/8/08).

The file may be to large to post here (1mb), but the bill is labeled Sub.H. B. No. 257.

Not many Ohio Inspectors on this forum ( Not many on any forum that I can tell), so I am wondering what the TIJ board of experts think.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Hi Ezra,

I've got some links to it here.

This is the original bill introduced on October 9th of last year:

http://www.lbo.state.oh.us/fiscal/fisca ... 0257IN.htm

This is the substitute bill introduced two days ago:

http://www.ohioinspectorlicensing.com/127_LB_0207_7[1].pdf

This is a site put up by someone in Ohio with verious analysis of the bills:

http://www.ohioinspectorlicensing.com/

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike,

Some history on the Ohio bill. Ohio ASHI, Ohio NAHI, and Northcentral Ohio ASHI went together about two years ago to craft a bill, hire a lobbyist, and find a house member to sponsor it. Northcentral backed out over something and introduced a bill in the Senate that went nowhere. OASHI and ONAHI introduced a bill in the House that also went nowhere. Last year OASHI/ONAHI rewrote the bill and that brings us to the here and now.

I believe David Tamny is the author of the third website you list. He is a member of both Ohio ASHI chapters.

My thought is that most Ohio Inspectors Know little of what is in the bill and how far it has gone or how far it has to go to become Law. It has been hard to light a fire under em in either camp.

I and another Inspector have made regular visits to the players at the state house to keep informed and answers any questions they may have. I think the bill is weak in protecting the consumer and has set the bar way to low for entry into the field.

I just started attending Belmont Technical Collage (BTC) working towards an Associates Degree in Building Preservation & Restoration (BPR). This is the same school that did a study on licensing Home Inspectors in Ohio. With my hours from Akron U, I should be able to finish by this time next year. With things looking like home sales won't pick up till next year I thought I should get this done before I get to old. Also, I will be able to join Bill's old house Inspectors group.

(BTC) outlined a course of study for Home Inspectors that goes way beyond the 40 hour certificate schools. A lot of the outline follows the course work demanded in their BPR.

I do wish more Ohio Inspectors would show up on your fine forum and get involved.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

The bill was passed out of committee on Tuesday, April 8, but an amendment to put a firewall between real estate agents and Inspectors was tabled. Now the bill goes before the House before being sent to the Senate.

A group of Inspectors from Cleveland went down to the committee meeting to protest the weakness of the bill to no avail.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio