EIFS Patterns

CHI2

Had an inspection today with a home with EIFS covering the majority of the home. Several issues were noted, however I'm not certain what to say about this pattern that I observed on the west facing side. You could see some of the mesh through the finish coat and noticable square patterns. Any ideas what would cause this pattern, especially only on the one side?

Thanks Much!

Image Insert:

20087302751_DSC07253.jpg

33.79 KB

Image Insert:

2008730285_DSC07256.jpg

52.16 KB

Image Insert:

20087302819_DSC07259.jpg

69.89 KB

Hi,

Did you scan it for moisture? The last time I saw that the wall behind it was soaking wet. Come to think of it, the whole detail at the front of the house was pretty similar to what you have there. I wonder is it was the same contractor? He told his client he'd done a water-managed system. NOT!!!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I did scan it, here and at many of the small cracks around the home and around the majority of the windows and doors I didn't find moisture anywhere, however it's been dry here for about a month or so.

Seems like the moisture would still be trapped inside though. This was the only location that had these patterns. The remainder of the home looked pretty uniform.

No, no air conditioning. The home was built in 1994. This wall faces northwest and is facing the Sound. I'm recommending further inspection, possibly with a thermal camera. I'm not sure anything can be determined without destructive testing. If I find anything out, I'll post the results.

Thanks,

Originally posted by StevenT

Neglecting to rasp the eps board after it was installed.

I have to agree with Steven, and I will add that the base coat is most likely too thin, if it has a base coat! The rasping will decrease the shadowing or ghosting. This is nothing more than rounding the edges and making edges of the panels equal and level.

Now as for moisture making the panels "ghost", this is possible as well. It is caused when the substrate swells or just falls apart into mulch. However, along a wall with no windows, doors, or other penetrations, this is not very likely.

You can also have ghosting of the panels due to air pollution. Just like in a home when we see ghosting of drywall, the same thing can happen with the EPS boards on an EIFS installation. This does not mean that the EIFS has a problem other than it is dirty, so this is when you have to start really looking to see what you have. This would also go hand in hand with a Western exposure.

As for using an IR camera for an EIFS inspection. I would not recommend it. Use visual and moisture meters to decide what is going on. Now if the EIFS inspector has an IR camera and they use it in conjunction with proven tools for an EIFS inspection, that is great.