Is this a termite bait box?

Inspectorjoe

I'm not sure where to post this, so I put it here since I saw it at the exterior. What is this? I did a Google image search for bait boxes and came up with things that looked kind of similar, but not really all that close.

There was only one, located at a corner, a few inches from the foundation. The house was an 8 year old ranch.

Image Insert:

2008817124311_Box1.jpg

141.04 KB

Image Insert:

200881712440_Box2.jpg

197.45 KB

Hi,

I wouldn't have a problem using a bait station to knock out a subterranean termite nest. Subs aren't getting their "fix" at a station, they're getting killed. It's the workers that have to bring food back to the nest for the queen and her drones. If you knock off the workers the nest dies of starvation - that's how the bait stations work. The stations are initially baited with wood to attract the workers. Once the workers know where the food source is, they let everyone know and pretty soon all workers are going to that one station to forage; that's when you replace the wood with termiticide. Next thing you know, all the workers are toast and the queen, drones, and larvae are dried up and worm food.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

So it is a bait station. I kind of thought so, but it was odd having only one, at a relatively new house, in the middle of what used to be a field.

Holy cow Bill, is there anything you can't identify - not to mention come up with a picture too? Here's another one. See if you can identify this structural member from my collection. I'll bet you have no trouble.

It's from a Town lattice truss. The structure it came from had been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was removed June 27, 1986. The piece became available for my acquisition on a sad January night in 1985.

Image Insert:

2008818125616_1.jpg

67.27 KB

Image Insert:

200881812575_2.jpg

69.86 KB

Image Insert:

2008818125745_3.jpg

56.67 KB

Holy cow Bill, is there anything you can't identify - not to mention come up with a picture too? Here's another one. See if you can identify this structural member from my collection. I'll bet you have no trouble.

A Town lattice truss is very typical of many local covered bridges. That timber is from the Haupts Mill covered bridge.

hauptsmill.jpg

Next question.

Dang! I knew I gave too many clues. Nice picture, too.

My last memory of the bridge is quite a bit different than what the picture shows. I scanned a few slides that I took when they were finishing the cleanup. I put them on Flickr, so I'm not using up Michael & Rose's bandwidth with non inspection related pics.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4