Installment 3

Norm

To some of you who encounter swimming pools on a daily basis this installment may seem very basic. However, to those who are not well versed in pools it is necessary to identify the different types of filters, how they operate, and how to inspect them. Installment #4 for those experienced in swimming pool inspections will follow.

Here are three types of pool filters and a photo of an attachment to one of the filters. Identify each type and list any defects noted. List the filters in terms of their ability to effectively clean the pool water, their ease of maintainence, and how to inspect them.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif FILTER 1.jpg

185.19 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif FILTER 2.jpg

180.82 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif FILTER 3.jpg

191.72 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif FILTER 4.jpg

172.53 KB

I'll respond to the posts on Wed. 5-26-04

NORM SAGE

• 1 year later...

OK, I usually refer pool inspections out but am getting a little fed up with the lack of detail and missed items.

I guess 1 is an older style bag filter, high maintenance, difficult to clean. Check the bag for rips or wear?? Not very effective filterimg.

#2 looks like some kind of DE filter maybe. I guess you could dismantle it and check the screens but I think I would just check the gauge to see if it needed backwashing and recharging.

Very effective filtering. Some areas dont like you backwashing them onto the enviornment.

#3 I think is a sand filter. I dont know what you could do bu tcheck the pressure guage to see if it needs backwashing. Maybe check the sand level. Fairly effective filtering.

#4 Trying to fool me, this is not a filter but is a special type of pressure gauge used at nuclear power plants.