2 - 100 amp sub panels - wired correctly? (pic)

guncowboy

electrical is not my strong suit and need some advice.

The first pic shows the 100 amp feeder panel with a 100 amp breaker. This 100 amp breaker goes to a second sub-panel (2nd pic) that has a 100 amp breaker that shuts down the panel and is double lugged feeding a 3rd 100 amp panel (3rd pic).

Items I think are a problem and need confirmation:

I can not find any ground on the 1st main panel, the 2nd panel is grounded and assumed to a cold water line.

The neutual from feeder panel is a un-insulated grounding wire?

Double lugged neutuals.

Can you see any other problems?

I am looking for confirmation that this setup is not only dangerous, but the most cost effective way to fix/update the setup.

Image Insert:

20081013114618_panel.jpg

1529.73 KB

Yeah,

I would have said something similar. Probably something like "These electrical panels are a good example of jackleg work done by a non-professional. There is simply so much wrong with them that trying to explain it all to a non-professional is pointless - the bottom line is that you need to have a licensed electrician clean this mess up as soon as possible and, until that's been done, it would be a good idea not to sleep in the house."

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by guncowboy

electrical is not my strong suit and need some advice.

The first pic shows the 100 amp feeder panel with a 100 amp breaker. This 100 amp breaker goes to a second sub-panel (2nd pic) that has a 100 amp breaker that shuts down the panel and is double lugged feeding a 3rd 100 amp panel (3rd pic).

Items I think are a problem and need confirmation:

I can not find any ground on the 1st main panel, the 2nd panel is grounded and assumed to a cold water line.

The neutual from feeder panel is a un-insulated grounding wire?

Double lugged neutuals.

Can you see any other problems?

I am looking for confirmation that this setup is not only dangerous, but the most cost effective way to fix/update the setup.

In the first picture, I see:

* No grounding electrode conductor

* Unconnected equipment grounding conductors

* An improper termination at the conduit

* Conduit made from PVC water pipe?

* Cables not properly secured to the box

* Cables not properly secured to the wall and subject to damage

* Breakers that may be too large to protect the wires that they feed (hard to see in the picture)

* Breakers that might not be listed for use in that panel

* Two double-lugged neutrals

In the second picture, I don't see any double lugging. Where is it?

I see:

* Feeders that look too small for the 100-amp main breaker

* A crappy splice at one equipment grounding conductor

* Either; no connection between this panel's grounding terminal and the service panel's grounding terminal; or no isolation between the grounding terminal and the neutral terminal. (Depends on whether or not the bonding screw is present -- I can't tell from the picture.)

In the third picture, I see:

* No seperation between neutrals & grounds

* Improper identification of the feeder wires (red goes to neutral and white goes to hot)

* Breakers located in the vicinity of easily ignitable materials

* Inadequate work space in front of the panel

In all three pictures, the workmanship is sloppy.

Was the third panel energized? I looks as if it's being fed from the second panel, but in the second panel, the feeder wires are turned out of the box.

Yes, the electrical work in this house is dangerous.

I don't know the most cost effective way to fix it. The only person who can answer that is an electrician who is qualified & willing to work on it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 months later...