Asphalt shingle vs. Architectural shingle

StevenT

• 2 years later...

Hey StevenT,

The correct answer is, false... Apples and oranges are both fruits...but are they the exact same...? No, they are different... Asphalt shingles are a one-piece construction and architectural are a layered construction...So they both are a roofing shingle but they are not the same...And neither is a truck VS. a car...Both have tires and a motor and doors and windows...But no one would

say that there is "no" difference between a car and a truck...

It was a trick question...Designed to see if you were paying attention and have some common sense...

I got a question wrong on my CSL examine. It asked how long you could temporarily put something in front of a fire extinguisher during the working day, before it had to be moved...

The correct answer is...No matter how long, nothing can block a fire extinguisher... Temporarily or not... I was thinking

during the working hrs...Someone could just move it and use the fire extinguisher like normal...But I was wrong...The word, Temporary and during the working hrs threw me off from a proper assestment of the question and the word, No difference between the two shingles, threw you off from the correct answer...Tks, Geno...

I am wondering why this topic has resurfaced. I think the concensus of the home inspectors that commented is that it is a poorly constructed question.

What is the purpose of the exam? I think it is to help determine if someone has minimum qualifications to perform a home inspection, not to trick someone with the obscure wording of a question.

The question is bad and should never be used again.

Your comparison is flawed because an "Architectural Shingle" can be an "Asphalt Shingle." A car cannot be a truck (of course if you watch the Home Depot Parking lot some people think their family car can be used to haul sheets of plywood or gypsum board with entertaining results).