leaning sewer cleanout

John Dirks Jr

Heres the house. 60's bank owned. Water turned off.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009398312_ranch.jpg

70.96 KB

The cleanout in the front yard was leaning on an angle quite a bit. How common is this? Shouldn't it be basically vertical? There was also a significant depression in the yard in front of the cleanout and the sidewalk has settled 4 or 5 inches.

Since the water is off, I could not test drain flows. I'm wondering if the yard depression and the leaning of the pipe are related. Add to that, I can't test drain flow. Are you getting the picture. I know I need to write about all of this.

Can you help me find the best words?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009398836_HPIM4466.jpg

72.95 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009398925_HPIM4466.jpg

72.95 KB

Hi,

Well, even if the water was on you might not have been able to tell anything from drain flow - sometimes they break and continue to accept waste just fine for a long time, untill one day they don't.

It's early and I haven't had my second cuppa yet, but something like:

There is a significant depression in the front yard adjacent to the waste line cleanout and the cleanout is askew. I suspect that the depression in the yard and the leaning cleanout might be caused by a break in the waste line below grade. If the waste line is broken below grade it's going to be expensive to repair. I recommend that, to be sure the waste line is intact, you have the waste line inspected now by a pipe inspection service. If the pipe inspection service reports that the pipe is broken, get it repaired immediately.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike