Crimp connection at breakers

Well, I guess that would be the same as if the two wires were connected with a wire nut and only one wire connected to the breaker. But..... It just does not look right and with that being a half-breaker I just don't care for it all that much.

I have never seen what you have found done before. I would say that it is not correct, but I have nothing to back it up.

Hi,

It's a crimped splice and splices are allowed in the panel, aren't they? I don't see an issue with it as long as the breaker will cut power before the maximum load on either conductor is reached, which it should. I don't think that the fact that it's a tandem breaker has anything to do with it; the breaker is still designed to handle the same load regardless. I think it would have been wrong if the electrician, in order to ensure that the combined two separate loads didn't trip the breaker had upped the breaker size beyond what's allowed for the conductors, but my non-electrician mind can't find a common sense logical prohibition against this.

OK, Jim. You can spank my ignorance now. I really should keep my yap shut when it comes to electrical stuff. [:-bigeyes

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

To cure a double tap at a breaker, can wires simply be crimped together like the ones in the photo?

A crimp splice is fine as long as the crimp sleeve is rated for the wire size and the voltage and as long as it's insulated properly.

I think this one's a little short on insulation. Some Scotch 33 would probably suffice.

A wire nut would have been quicker, cheaper, and just as effective.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Electrically that is fine, but I would prefer something like that be insulated. Or use a wire nut which has insulation on it.

A bare crimp connection would be a shock hazard for someone working in the panel (although they should turn off power when working in a panel). And someone working in a panel should know enough to watch out for things like this. But best to do things as safe as possible if you can.

Also typically bare ground wires "rattle" around inside a breaker box like that and the bare crimp connection could be further out and the bare wires closer to the breaker and might touch if someone was pulling a new wire or whatever. Again power should be off when doing this, but still a good idea to make things safe for the next guy to come along!