Panel siding systems

Ponyboy

This building which I recently inspected has a James Hardie panel siding system installed with a rain screen behind the panels. (new construction) I can not find any architectural details about proper flashing and trim for this type of system. I found areas of concern, but have not been able to get the builder to furnish details for the siding system. The builder wants to meet at the site to discuss my concerns, but I need more data to back up my position. I do not like going head to head with builders. This building had many unfinished areas and questionable craftsmanship.

Any siding resources would be great and how would you deal with this issue?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200952816816_South%20Exposure.jpg

23.1 KB

Over-all view of siding system.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200952816854_Direct%20gas%20vent.jpg

12.35 KB

The direct gas vent was cut through the system after installation. I can look into the interior around the vent

Click to Enlarge
tn_200952816924_Gas%20pipe.jpg

12.51 KB

Poor quality trim installation at pipes.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200952816951_Exhaust%20vent.jpg

11.64 KB

This vent is mounted directly on the rain screen. All other installations I have inspected have the vent set on wood blocking and then the siding is butted to the blocking.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009528161537_Electrical%20box.jpg

7.37 KB

Electrical box mounted directly on rain screen. Siding hole cut to small preventing the box cover from being closed.

Are you sure it's Hardie? They have pretty explicit guidelines for their products so I would start there. That gas vent looks like the nicest detail on the house, if the good stuff is that screwed up one can only imagine what the builder has buried in the walls.

BTW, that has got to be one of the ugliest houses I have ever seen.

Tom

You're right Bill. It's been a while so I had to go and read the instructions. The only issue they are helpful for is the gas vent, the builder didn't finish the cut edges. I know that MidAmerica makes mounts specifically for fibercement lap siding, I wonder if they should have been used here. Seems that this would be a good topic to bring to the attention of a Hardie rep. It's a safe bet that Hardie won't warrant that installation, I wonder what they would use as proof that it doesn't comply with their standards?

Interestingly, Certainteed doesn't specify how to deal with penetrations either.

Tom

Yes, the product was confirmed as Hardie. They do not have any specs for this type of panel system. A rain screen product (Vapro Shield) is installed against the sheathing and the penetrations are flashed with peel and stick flashing tape. The siding panels are held off the rain screen with 1/2" furring and the panels are spaced apart 1/2". By design you see the Rain Screen behind the hardy panels.

The gas vent has been verified by the builder as a screw-up and he will be opening the siding and reflashing in this area.

Still want to find some drawings for typical installations. Off to search the web again.

Yes, the product was confirmed as Hardie. They do not have any specs for this type of panel system.

I have the installation instructions for HardiePanel and Artisan Matrix Panel. I can send them to you if you'd like, but again, I don't think there's any details about penetrations.

Yes, the product was confirmed as Hardie. They do not have any specs for this type of panel system.

I have the installation instructions for HardiePanel and Artisan Matrix Panel. I can send them to you if you'd like, but again, I don't think there's any details about penetrations.

Thanks Bill. I also have not found any penetration details. Most caps or penetrations are mounted on wood blocking then the blocking is metal flashed into the rain screen. This builder did not use the blocking and flashed the vents with peel-and-stick flashing directly to the rain screen. After review, this should be fine. The gas flue is being fixed which was the main screw up. The meet and great is this afternoon, should be fun.