panel ground / made electrode

jodil

I just want confirmation for my thoughts here. The ground for the main panel is attached to the closest water line about 6 feet from the water meter. There is no jumper at the meter becuase the main supply line is PVC.. so the ground should be attached somewhere else since the ground cant actually get to the "ground" right?

thanks

I just want confirmation for my thoughts here. The ground for the main panel is attached to the closest water line about 6 feet from the water meter. There is no jumper at the meter becuase the main supply line is PVC.. so the ground should be attached somewhere else since the ground cant actually get to the "ground" right?

Sort of right. The wire from the main panel to the water piping is for bonding of the water piping system not grounding of the service equipment. The service equipment has to be connected to a grounding electrode system. That GES has to include all available grounding electrodes. That should include, most notably, the foundation steel if it's a newer building. If it's an older building, then, yes, someone should drive a pair of ground rods.

- Jim Katen, Oregon