exposed.... fiberglass? on asphalt shingles, 6

esch

Hi All,

Well, I left home about 6:30 am and just got home and I see this. I have to say that, even though I understand our new member was having trouble with his English, I'm a little disappointed that some folks seem to have been mocking him.

Some inspectors in this country do have problems with English but they service exclusively those in their own ethnic communities and by doing so they are helping people who might otherwise stand in front of you, nod their heads like they understand what you are talking about and walk away without understanding a word. The provide a valuable service to those communities. Here in our area, I know a number of Korean realtors but the guy that gets most referrals from them is a Korean inspector. His English is limited but he is able to provide a valuable service to the Korean-speaking community.

I've been married to a lady for nearly 30 years who's English is still very limited but who is smarter than most Americans I know, including myself, and the overwhelming majority of my clients (above 90%) are foreign born. One thing I have to say about Microsoft, it's like a mini U.N. over there.

It takes a lot of moxy to come on here and post questions when one's first language is not English. Some folks should think about that and ask yourself how you might feel trying to post a question on a board with a language other than English.

Let's keep TIJ the friendly place, OK?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi All,

Well, I left home about 6:30 am and just got home and I see this. I have to say that, even though I understand our new member was having trouble with his English, I'm a little disappointed that some folks seem to have been mocking him.

Some inspectors in this country do have problems with English but they service exclusively those in their own ethnic communities and by doing so they are helping people who might otherwise stand in front of you, nod their heads like they understand what you are talking about and walk away without understanding a word. The provide a valuable service to those communities. Here in our area, I know a number of Korean realtors but the guy that gets most referrals from them is a Korean inspector. His English is limited but he is able to provide a valuable service to the Korean-speaking community.

I've been married to a lady for nearly 30 years who's English is still very limited but who is smarter than most Americans I know, including myself, and the overwhelming majority of my clients (above 90%) are foreign born. One thing I have to say about Microsoft, it's like a mini U.N. over there.

It takes a lot of moxy to come on here and post questions when one's first language is not English. Some folks should think about that and ask yourself how you might feel trying to post a question on a board with a language other than English.

Let's keep TIJ the friendly place, OK?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike,

Did you see any of his original posts? I ask because he changed them several times. As far as I can tell, he's not foreign born and English is his first language. He burst in with a long, rambling screed that didn't seem to contain any questions, just a lot of vitriol about how he builds everything better than anyone else bothers to these days.

Mike,

Did you see any of his original posts? I ask because he changed them several times. As far as I can tell, he's not foreign born and English is his first language. He burst in with a long, rambling screed that didn't seem to contain any questions, just a lot of vitriol about how he builds everything better than anyone else bothers to these days.

Exactly.

I was laughing at Katen chewing him out and using Kurt's quote over and over again. Not mocking.

A guy I went to HI school was run off of here last year because his posts were hard to understand and he was told about it in a not so understanding way. Nobody knew he was just as hard to understand in person. My smartass remarks are never ever intended to be anything other than a little comic relief. Never with the intent of hurting one's feelings. A couple of guys here who have met me know this. We all deal with enough assholes on a daily basis. No need to throw rocks and take cheap easy shots while hiding behind a keyboard.

I came in late also. I did see the Structural topic, but the individual wanted the entire thing deleted, so I deleted it. I never saw the original post, but I did see Jim's response, so I can surmise a few things.

The individual came in with a heavy hand and lots of declaratives. Not a bad guy, but seemingly informed only by his own opinions. His writing was really bad to the point of not being understandable, and from my view, I'd guess English was his first and only language.

Jim gave the guy good info. Factual. Useful. The guy didn't like being told things that contradicted his opinions. I might have it wrong because he deleted his own posts before I saw them, but I know Jim, and Jim's not a smart ass cutting posts up to serve his own view. We all know that.

If I thought anyone was making fun of someone's language use simply because they didn't speak or write English well, I'd delete them and I'd be on their butts. I don't think that's what happened here.

I think it was someone who might have a lot of useful information, but was surprised and amazed when there were a bunch of folks that brought reality to the discussion, and he got his nose bent, unfortunately.

I came in late also. I did see the Structural topic, but the individual wanted the entire thing deleted, so I deleted it. I never saw the original post, but I did see Jim's response, so I can surmise a few things.

The individual came in with a heavy hand and lots of declaratives. Not a bad guy, but seemingly informed only by his own opinions. His writing was really bad to the point of not being understandable, and from my view, I'd guess English was his first and only language.

Jim gave the guy good info. Factual. Useful. The guy didn't like being told things that contradicted his opinions. I might have it wrong because he deleted his own posts before I saw them, but I know Jim, and Jim's not a smart ass cutting posts up to serve his own view. We all know that.

If I thought anyone was making fun of someone's language use simply because they didn't speak or write English well, I'd delete them and I'd be on their butts. I don't think that's what happened here.

I think it was someone who might have a lot of useful information, but was surprised and amazed when there were a bunch of folks that brought reality to the discussion, and he got his nose bent, unfortunately.

Umm.. Nobody was mean to mean, it was very shorthand very fast i had to go and had a few questions so I just described what I had seen and tried to leave it sort of open, I did a very bad job of it. My fault. No one needs to argue over me lol. I deleted the posts cause they were useless for any body to learn off of because I assume you all knew the answers, but my background. I started working for my uncle building when I was about 12 or 13.. however old I was in 6th grade. I haven't built in a number of years. I moved to Tahlequah Oklahoma, famous for their "Indian houses" built in a very primitive, not old but primitive style. This is not my opinion, but every opinion in town. My uncle was famous for being heavy duty on everything. If we built a block wall house, it was reinforced with #4 rebar, ladder bars between every row, and filled with 5k psi concrete. I have never built a "hiddey hole" as they are called here(storm room? safe room?) But from what i have seen, every block house we built is the same methods these storm rooms are built, aside from the ceiling and welding brackets inside concrete, although we built a few metal trusses inside of concrete for tensile strength any time it was a concrete balcony etc. without supporting columns beneath.

I don't mean to rant, just trying to explain, sorry.

Slabs for a driveway are not 3-1/2" thick or even 4" thick, but 6" thick minimum. Take that and apply it to digging footings for the slabs (if Anyone is near Dallas they will see how the slabs are poured here, I never knew any difference, but whats a soil test? soil tests are not conducted before any small commercial or any residential structures. The last building we built was 1600 sq foot, a small doctors office. The footings were one foot wide and 20" deep, or on the back where the ground was lower, it was almost 24" of solid concrete 1 foot thick with a brick ledge extending out wards 5-1/2" with an additional 20" of concrete. The 1600 sq ft building required somewhere between 50-60 yards monolithic pour. Fun with 2 man crew and a couple wives =)

If you feel I'm ranting, let me know, I'm trying to figure out my boundaries here. =)

Matt the typo king.

EDIT: I also have this problem of typing about one topic, and mid-sentence I will start another without knowing it. Not when I talk, just when I type or write. I had a head injury about 2 years ago and my short term memory is not near as good ever since, this may have part to do with it.