Exhaust vent Q

gtblum

This is a R / R weatherking model 90RJ07EES01. No manual to be found.

While investigating the leak from this vent it fell apart and water poured out of it.

Would the excessive amount of condensation be due to the change in the size of the vent?

What would be the reason for changing the size to begin with?

Shouldn't that stuff be glued together?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009102382314_110.jpg

42.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009102382336_083.jpg

37.21 KB

Hi,

Well, it's not excessive condensation at all, it's the natural byproduct of burning gas and it condenses more in the exhaust of a high-efficiency furnace because more heat is extracted from the exhaust; that's why the furnace is equipped with a drain in order to remove it. Yes, it's supposed to be glued together. Good catch.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

Well, it's not excessive condensation at all, it's the natural byproduct of burning gas and it condenses more in the exhaust of a high-efficiency furnace because more heat is extracted from the exhaust; that's why the furnace is equipped with a drain in order to remove it. Yes, it's supposed to be glued together. Good catch.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

What about the increase in the size of the of the vent? Doesn't that cause the gas to cool faster than it should or, do these exhaust at a low enough temp for it not to matter? It's the first one I've seen where the size increased.

I've never checked the manufacturer's spec but I've seen several that increase in size.

Stuff that's not glued together does tend to pull apart when you tug on it.

Good find. Though I suppose the leak from it made it easier.

I had one the other day that had the drain disconnected inside the furnace cabinet. Bottom of the cabinet was full of water. Kinda hard to miss that one.

Have you tried the manufacturer's website for installation instructions. Sometimes that works.

-

-

I've never checked the manufacturer's spec but I've seen several that increase in size.

Stuff that's not glued together does tend to pull apart when you tug on it.

Good find. Though I suppose the leak from it made it easier.

Have you tried the manufacturer's website for installation instructions. Sometimes that works.

-

-

Thanks Erby,

Yes I went everywhere I could think to go before bugging you guys about this.

Your right about the catch. If it wasn't for the puddle below, I wouldn't have thought to look that close.