Need HELP!!! with info on a Lochinvar water heater

katstar777

Hi,

Lochinvar codes the production date into the serial number. The first position is a letter and it designates the year. A is 1964, 1984, and 2004, B is 1965, 1985, 2005 and so on. The second position is also a letter and designates the month. The month letters are A thru N (they skip I, O, Q, R, U & V) Ex. EJ1234566 was manufactured in November 1968, November 1988 or November 2008.

If I were looking for a used water heater, here's what I'd be willing to pay.

Unless it's never been used, and since water heaters have an expected service life of only about 10 to 15 years from the date of installation, depending on where you are and whether the thing has ever been flushed or had the anode changed when it was supposed to, any from the 1964 or 1984 series are only worth whatever you pay the junk guy to haul them away and I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for one.

Keeping in mind that, around Christmas time, a conventional tank type 50-gal water heater can be bought for about $450 installed..............then,

If it's less than a year old with water in it and the burner on - about $175. However, if it's been left sitting around for months with with water in it, the anode rod will be all nasty and will need to be changed and it'll need to be flushed of all that hydrogen sulfide gas, so it's probably worth only about $50.

If it's used and has had the burner on under it and it's less than 5 years old, it's probably worth about $125 to $150. If it's used and older than 5 years but less than 10 years it's worth about $50. If it's used and older than 10 years it's worth nothing to any sane individual.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike