emt to rigid

jph320

I don't see an issue with the double change in methods (emt/rigid and vice versa) but I'm guessing that you'll have a problem getting 3 #2/0 through the 2 LB's especially when they are separated only by the thickness of a wall. I'd look for another route or consult with the counterman at your electrical wholesaler.

Marc

I don't think you can do it. If you've got muscles like ropes in your forearms and you fight it, you might get the cover on the LB's but I'd be worried about damage to the insulation and arcing later on. Arcing on a service entrance conductor prior to the main breaker is arrested only by the utility fuse, which is usually a super lag. If it arcs, it may vaporize considerable metal before it's over and a big part of the immediate neighborhood will hear it.

It's not safe to proceed on this plan and you should not do so. I'm assuming that you are a licensed electrical contractor.

Marc

That helps, but I still wouldn't even consider it. Give yourself a wider margin of safety, at least until you get more experience. Try 3" conduit with a large LB. Some have more volume than others. Chk if you've a 3" knockout on the meter box or CT box.

Marc

Well couldn't i just use ser cable on the outside? From the weather head along the wall to a hole in the cinder block then to a sweep 90 and then down the inside wall to the socket.? The run will be about 12ft from the ground outside and i could do without the conduit. 2in emt will hold 4 4/0 aluminum wire(3 hots and a neutral) as per the code book. I would just use it inside the shop to protect it

• 2 weeks later...