Pool Heater bonding

I am installing a gas powered pool heater as an add-on. The pool was built 10 years ago. The only bonding wire at the filter system is the one that is connected to the filter motor with a one wire bonding lug. Can I connect the bonding wire that must be connected to the outside of the pool heater to the filter motor bonding lug?

I am installing a gas powered pool heater as an add-on. The pool was built 10 years ago. The only bonding wire at the filter system is the one that is connected to the filter motor with a one wire bonding lug. Can I connect the bonding wire that must be connected to the outside of the pool heater to the filter motor bonding lug?

First, I must tell you that I know nothing about bonding at pools. I've never inspected a pool and I never intend to.

That said, my first reaction to your question is to wonder whether or not the filter motor bonding lug is listed to hold more than one wire. I suspect that it's not.

The rules for bonding around pools are in article 680.26 of the NEC. It will also be helpful to look at article 250.8. That's about as much help as I can provide.

I'm sure there are inspectors here who see pools on a regular basis and who probably know the answer right off the top of their head.

- Jim Katen, Oregon