Sweatin' like a poodle at Michael Vick's place.

mgbinspect

For those interested, I haven't changed out my shower head yet, because I plan to actually do the experiment. With that in mind, here is what I plan to do in case anyone feels a better procedure is needed.

1. Have a piece of drywall with flat paint on it in the bathroom. (I'll probably lay it down on the vanity top to prevent the backside from being exposed to the humidity, so all things will be equal.)

2. Run the shower for 20 minutes.

3. Wipe down the semi-gloss surface so surface moisture doesn't throw off the measurements.

4. Use a both a probe moisture meter and a Tramex Moisture Encounter to compare the moisture content of both drywall materials - front and back. (I hope latex semi-gloss paint won't corrupt the measurements.)

Any suggestions for a more scientific approach?

I think a quicker approach would be to talk to a couple of paint manufacturers about the vapor permeability of different sheens, as well as oil vs. latex. I've had a couple of conversations over the years with tech people at Benjamin Moore, and they are quite able to answer questions like that.

Yeah, I know. I was just going to do it for the entertainment. But, I think I'll just skip it and change out the shower head.

Thanks for the advice though, David.

Over and out...

Update: The shower head has been changed out, which has made a noticeable different, but has not altogether solved the problem. Condensation still beads up on the semi-gloss surface of the ceiling pretty heavily. Now, I'll scrutinize the bathroom vent from the fan to the exterior. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

• 7 months later...

I've lived in this home much of my life. It is one of my parents homes. Built 68-70. Its 1650sqft and has only one small bathroom. It had plastic tile half way up the walls. I removed all tile and put sheetrock on walls and ceramic tile on floor and shower. My fiance painted it a dark brown color(good paint but it was from the ooops rack-so it was cheap and not to pretty) so I Kiltz the walls, added chairrail and painted the top with Glidden Satin Seafoam and the bottom a white semi-gloss. Thinking the paint was a good choice for easy cleaning. I also put anew fan in,too. It does the same exact thing. The Seafoam color literally runs down and collects on the molding. Its like the walls are melting. I shouldv'e did the whole thing tile or cedar-and made a mini-sauna. To expensive. My father said it has always done it and ocassionally he would have to use a sponge mop and remove a oily carmel/brown spots that form on ceiling. I've tried door open, window open, fan, nothing works. Im not gona quit taking hot showers-thats for sure.lol Ill keep trying suggestions if affordable.

Well, if it's helpful: I threw away the misting shower head. That was the major culprit. Also, a new more powerful vent fan helped. It still does it some, but not as bad as before.

Honestly, the home I previously lived in, and raised seven kids in (two steps), had three bathrooms - all with flat paint over gypsum board, from day one. I never saw condensation in those bathrooms - ever. And you know girls and hot showers. So, I still think flat paint over gypsum board is the best scenario in a bathroom, from practical experience. Having a gloss or semi-gloss finish in a bathrom is mildew's friend, in my book - almost as much a friend as the shower curtain.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. [:-graduat

now that i think about it- i have the same shower head from like 20years ago and didn't want to change it to the new ones because oh my theres hardly any H2O coming out. Big difference. I guess id rather deal w/the condensation and have a pounding hot shower everyday.lol But im curious if it solves the problem.

now that i think about it- i have the same shower head from like 20years ago and didn't want to change it to the new ones because oh my theres hardly any H2O coming out. Big difference. I guess id rather deal w/the condensation and have a pounding hot shower everyday.lol But im curious if it solves the problem.

Well, when you buy a new shower head, they usually have a little water saving governor ring to minimize water flow. At the risk of being found out by the Green thought police, to be chained to the nearest tree and pelted with tomato's (recycled from the compost, of course), and then branded with a "W" for Wasteful, you can always remove that ring and enjoy a brisk shower.

But, if you have one of the little chrome misting shower heads, you should ditch that thing. They really kick up the humidity and aren't really contributing to your shower experience.