Problem with Brick Veneer

tnhouse

HI, I am having issues with my new house. I have just noticed that one side of brick veneer is not straight and have a 8-9 feet long horizontal bump. It is very clear under sunshine. Can you experts tell what could have caused it? Thanks a million in advance.

tnhouse

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010101485343_tnhouse_IMG_0766.jpg

98.67 KB

Thank you Kurt for the quick reply! If that's the case, anything can be done to fix from construction pointview? Underneath (outside) the wall are the garage and parking lot where kids usually play. I am afraid the veneer could collapse someday which could hurt kids (mine or my neighbor's). Thanks!

Yes, brick can fall off buildings, in ways that can surprise (and injure).

Repair means taking out the bulging bricks and seeing what's going on. When new brick is installed, wall ties should secure it to the building structure. You have to work in sections, but yes, brick can be taken down and replaced.

The shadows in the window openings create a bit of an optical illusion, making it appear more extreme than it is.

When you inspect the surface of the brickwork closely, if no bed (horizontal) joints are open (gap) or cracked (hairline), then, unfortunately, that is the way the brick veneer was installed, and it probably reflects an attempt to get past framing that was not plumb.

If there are no cracks or gaps and the veneer seems to be solid, then nothing needs to be done. It's cosmetic.

If, however, there are horizontal cracks and the veneer seems loose and unstable. Repairs are needed asap.

I was a journeyman mason, before getting into general contracting and inspections.

Hope this helps.