Does True Occurrence Coverage Still Exist?

Jim Katen

I have an acquaintance, a builder who does large commercial & multifamily projects. He has a "skin consultant" who designs, inspects, & approves the exterior finish systems on his buildings. This consultant has E & O insurance, but it's a claims made policy. The builder wants someone who has a true occurrence policy to provide greater protection but he's having a very hard time finding an insurer who'll write such a policy.

Does anyone know if such coverage exists?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I have an acquaintance, a builder who does large commercial & multifamily projects. He has a "skin consultant" who designs, inspects, & approves the exterior finish systems on his buildings. This consultant has E & O insurance, but it's a claims made policy. The builder wants someone who has a true occurence policy to provide greater protection but he's having a very hard time finding an insurer who'll write such a policy.

Does anyone know if such coverage exists?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

A year or so ago, Marion Allen Insurance was still offering it for home inspectors but I have no idea about a builder/contractor. http://www.allenins.com/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Jim there are lots of top order insurers around that can give you the best of advice. I m not into any such business, otherwise, I would have guided you well in this regard. You should better consult this matter with some expert insurer.

Gee thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Be Nice now. You are going to scare her away.

Have you checked with Lloyds of London? It is my understanding that that they will insure almost anything if they can make a profit. The big question is can anyone afford the premium that they come up with?