Tankless water heater installed below direct vent.

Is it okay to install this tankless water heater directly below the for a fireplace? The direct vent is three feet from the regulator in the picture but not by much and 2 ½ from the window. I couldn’t find anything about installing the water heater below or that close to the direct vent just doesn’t seem right. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Kiel

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011292090_PB290248.jpg

62.32 KB

Check out http://www.rinnai.us/documentation/down ... _EN_FR.pdf , page 28.

US installs require 12" clearance to "the combustion air inlet to any other appliance" (30" in Canada). I'd say you have that there, if only just.

The other way around, so to speak...because the hot fireplace exhaust gas will rise, it shouldn't affect the water heater combustion air.

Check out http://www.rinnai.us/documentation/down ... _EN_FR.pdf , page 28.

US installs require 12" clearance to "the combustion air inlet to any other appliance" (30" in Canada). I'd say you have that there, if only just.

The other way around, so to speak...because the hot fireplace exhaust gas will rise, it shouldn't affect the water heater combustion air.

Thanks! Yeah I think they might just make the 12".

Kiel

What would keep those supply pipes from freezing when there is no water running? Or does it never get that cold in Charleston?

Yeah last winter we had 14 straight day of freezing temperature which set a record and very unusual. So if you asked me the same question prior to last year I would have said no it doesn’t get below freezing here very much. I did recommend insulating all the water lines under the house and to tankless water heaters though. It’s crazy what freezing water can do. My father in laws brass faucet split in half out at his dock last year during the record freezing.