Knob and tube insulation other than rag wrap?

Jeff Beck

Are you sure? I'm with Kurt, thinking all abandoned wiring should be removed. Pretty sure I learned that here.

It seems like a good idea, but it's not a requirment of the NEC. The NEC only requires it when there are certain very limited conditions, such as in underfloor raceways, cellular concrete floor or metal floor raceways, and for IT equipment as Jim Port mentioned.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 5 weeks later...

From what I hear from the insurance guys that I know, it depends on if you're already a client or applying for insurance .

Most underwriters prefer that it be removed but some of the smaller companies will take having it disconnected and certified by an electrical contractor.

One of my friends also told me that if it is just disconnected that the premiums will be higher. I'm not sure that makes sense but ultimately it's just all about the money anyway.

most decent city electrical inspectors require unused wire to be removed when accesable

• 3 weeks later...

Many old houses such as those from late 1880's-early 1900's still have K&T. Many Insurance companies do not refuse coverage. I have worked on many homes in the historic district. Never heard any complaints from homeowner that they couldn't get coverage.

I myself have a 120 year old house. My insurance company is a very large and well known company. Had no problems getting coverage although I have K&T. And, no, my premiums were not higher.