Safety Glazing

I probably got this wrong, but one of things that says a low-to-the-floor window pane requires safety-glazing is if the pane has an area greater than nine square feet. Assuming that's right. . .

I saw some 33" by 35" low windows the other day (<10" above the floor), and the muntin bars were not installed. Without the muntins, the panes looked HUGE. My client has toddlers. I recommended changing the glass to tempered glass, regardless of any rules or guidelines. Any thoughts/comments?

Check your code reference again. ALL FOUR conditions must be met for safety glass to be required. ONLY exceeding 9 sq ft is not enough, it must ALSO meet the other 3 requirements.

If they are thermal pane windows, you talking $200 per window to replace them. Not a huge sum but enough to make most people think twice about the hassle.

Are you concerned about the toddlers falling through the windows some height above the grade or you worried about injuries due to broken glass?

I wouldn't mention anything in my report but you certainly can offer as many safety suggestions as you like.

I've made recommendations before that I cannot support with any written code. My favorite is the receptacle mounted to the bottom of the kitchen sink base cabinet. It's permitted but stupid and water always ends up there, either from a leak or dripping handsprayer or stored cleaning product containers that leak.

Not all of the childproofing stuff is in the code books. Actually most of it isn't. I would do the same as you on this one Jerry.

Check your code reference again. ALL FOUR conditions must be met for safety glass to be required. ONLY exceeding 9 sq ft is not enough, it must ALSO meet the other 3 requirements.

If they are thermal pane windows, you talking $200 per window to replace them. Not a huge sum but enough to make most people think twice about the hassle.

Are you concerned about the toddlers falling through the windows some height above the grade or you worried about injuries due to broken glass?

I wouldn't mention anything in my report but you certainly can offer as many safety suggestions as you like.

Hey Bruce,

Yeah, four. . .that's why I underlined *one* condition. . .

And, yep, I don't want a kid killed by glass shards.

You wouldn't comment in the report? Okie-dokie. Me? I'm gonna document.

Even if I see safety glass, I write something like this.

The (your window here) windows are very close to the floor. I strongly recommend some type of safety barrier of a material that could be easily breached by a fire fighter, be installed to prevent a child from falling into or out of these windows.

I'd probably say something about it. I have in the past when I've seen similar things.

My comments were always along the lines of .......

"The windows are close to the floor; your kids could smash against them and be injured. Install a barrier or replace the windows with safety glazing."

Hey Bruce,

Yeah, four. . .that's why I underlined *one* condition. . .

And, yep, I don't want a kid killed by glass shards.

You wouldn't comment in the report? Okie-dokie. Me? I'm gonna document.

Nothing personal. Each of reports safety hazards as we see them.

In a previous life I was the Disaster Recovery Planner for a large company. I was a responding member of a fire and rescue squad for over 10 years. I have planned for and responded to numerous safety events. Safety is and has been a large part of my life. The wonderful part about being a home inspector is that we have great freedom in what and how we report issues.

I did not mean to imply that should not report the windows as a safety concern if you feel they are. I was just trying to make sure you understand that all 4 criteria must be met for code requirement to kick in. Code does not cover every possible scenario.