meter boxes & downspouts

kurt

Is there a prohibition of having downspouts immediately adjacent to (or on top of) the meter box(es)?

Today's job had a meter array set directly below a flat roof scupper drain; the downspout ran directly down toward the meters, then split in two to go "around" the meters. One leg went to a scupper box 6" away from the meters & the other wrapped around to the other side. It was a jacklegged mess of downspout, & was clearly a screwup, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific prohibition of spouts & meters(?).

Sorry I didn't take a picture; I was tired & didn't feel like running back up to the 3rd fl. condo to get my camera.

Any help?

Originally posted by kurt

Is there a prohibition of having downspouts immediately adjacent to (or on top of) the meter box(es)?

Today's job had a meter array set directly below a flat roof scupper drain; the downspout ran directly down toward the meters, then split in two to go "around" the meters. One leg went to a scupper box 6" away from the meters & the other wrapped around to the other side. It was a jacklegged mess of downspout, & was clearly a screwup, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific prohibition of spouts & meters(?).

Sorry I didn't take a picture; I was tired & didn't feel like running back up to the 3rd fl. condo to get my camera.

Any help?

There's no prohibition against this that I'm aware of. Cramer might know, or Inspector T.

Guys?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The NEC really only references metering equipement and its location relative to its placement in the service, such as allowing it on the supply side of the disconnecting means. In my area, the utility company determines the placement of their equipment. I wouldn't really worry too much about it, they are, for most part, approved for wet locations. If your concerned, call the utility company, they will usually check it for free. But they do read it every month and if they had concerns about their equipment you can bet they would have let the homeowner know.

T.

Originally posted by inspectort

The NEC really only references metering equipement and its location relative to its placement in the service, such as allowing it on the supply side of the disconnecting means. In my area, the utility company determines the placement of their equipment. I wouldn't really worry too much about it, they are, for most part, approved for wet locations. If your concerned, call the utility company, they will usually check it for free. But they do read it every month and if they had concerns about their equipment you can bet they would have let the homeowner know.

T.

Good point, but that's in the world where sanity rules. I live in the world where Com Ed rules. I routinely see things like service drops that are 6' off the back yard, or drip loops hung off rear porches where someone could literally walk into them. When I see these things, I report them, & Com Ed routinely ignores them. It's Chicago.

True also about the approved for wet location aspect; it's probably not serious, but if you saw this spout mess, you'd probably report it. (I shoulda taken a pic; it's a beaut.)

Yeah, I always forget my camera when I need it. I 've seen some beauts too. I went to inspect a service that was repaired because a tree had fell on the drop and pulled it down. Well the dip-shits repaired it and the utility company had hooked it back up. I walk around to the back corner of the house where the weather head was and the service drop ran over deck that the guy had built on the back of the house. The kicker is, it was only about 5' above the hot tub. So I call the utility company and have them shut the power off. The homeowner gets pissed when I tell him he's got to move his service. He says its been like that for 3yrs and he's never had a problem with it. Then I called the utility company a told the chief engineer about it. I think they fired the lineman. Some people get an extra helpin of stupid at birth.

T.