Breakers I Have not Seen Before

Mike Lamb

The MB and MO series breakers were very similar. I see the MO ones fairly often, the MB less so. I know that the MOs always had the amp rating printed right on the toggle handle but it would wear off in time. If you hold your flashlight at an angle to the toggle so that the light grazes the surface, you might be able to make out the numbers. Both the MO and the MB were available from 15 amps to 50 amps.

The guys down at Oregon Breakers tell me that these were, possibly, the worst breakers ever made. (They're in the business of testing and reselling used breakers.)

My house in Palo Alto had one of these, a recessed laundry room subpanel. One of the breakers wouldn't reset, and someone had double-tapped another breaker to keep things going. After I moved in, another double-tapped breaker failed, so I replaced it with a new surface mounted box over the old one, pulling the wires into the back of my new one.

The house was built in 1938. I was a bit surprised that it had breakers at that age. The main outside and the other outside circuits were fuses.