Jump to content

What kind of slates are these?


Recommended Posts

Has anyone seen this kind of slate roof ridge treatment? Looks very odd to me, but I don't see that many slate roofs.

According to the listing the roof was 'done' in 2005.

Already shows damage along the eaves in several places.

Click to Enlarge

40.21 KB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a comb ridge, and one side extends a bit above the other, as your roof does. They're pretty common on older roofs around here, but not nearly as common as galvanized metal ridges. The only water that could possibly leak in is what would hit it directly, and the overlap helps with that. Metal ridges are normally completely watertight, but metal ridges require more maintenance than a slate ridge. I'd expect to see a metal ridge on a 2005 roof.

It looks like one of the nails is backing out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...