question on cement around window

Jer

Hi Fellas

I attached a picture that I hope you can have a look at and answer for me.

Notice the cement blocks that are under the window frame, there are 2 pieces the run the length of the window. Today I notice that one of them had moved out about 1/2 inch??? I was able to push it back in but is this a really big problem that need to be fixed? I assume yes or are they supposed to float in there? Would this be due the harsh winters and extremely hot summers causing expansion and contraction?

any help would be great

Jeremy

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012714115932_2.jpg

49.69?KB

Thanks Kurt, so should it have been "cemented" I dont know if thats the correct term with limestone?[:-dunce]

Or is something that floats in the opening? again dont know if thats the correct term? Is there anything I can do temporailry aside from just push it back in if it moves out again?

I have no idea how long it has been out? it must have been some what gradual as I just noticed it.

Bedded in mortar. Cement if a component of mortar.

Actually, on closer look, I think it's a lug sill (extends beyond the opening).

Pull it out, put some flashing in there. Bed the stone in mortar.

Or, just keep pushing it back when it gets loose. Eventually, you'll get around to doing the research to fix it correctly.

Thanks for the advice Kurt.

But its not a "huge" problem to fret and worry about right?

I also noticed that it was only moving where the two pieces butt together? it looks like there is a shim or something between the two

Mortar. They are held in place by gravity and mortar, unless your Mike Holmes, in which case you grind out all the mortar and replace it with rubber caulk.

You need a mason to slide them out, clean them up, fabricate the flashing that Kurt mentioned, and then set them back in place with new mortar. The most difficult part of the process will be finding one guy capable of that who actually wants to take on such a small project.

Dinky. It's two jobs actually; the first is trying to find someone interested in a dinky job, the second is the job. The first is probably harder than the second.

Once the materials are ready, it'd take about 10 minutes to pull the thing and reinstall it. Okay, maybe 20 if you've never done it before.

Please......do not caulk masonry.

There are a (very) few exceptions, but I don't want to cloud the picture on this simple repair.

Honestly, if you don't want to get into it, just push it back and point some mortar into the gaps. (Stuff mortar anywhere it will fit and scrape away the excess. Wash off any that gets on the face of the brick or it will look like crap.)

Is it possible that if he pulls that limestone ledge out of there he'll discover that there is already a metal flashing there that extends from the top of the rough framing below that window to the bottom of the opening where the limestone has been inserted? If that were the case, would one want to 'bed' it in mortar or leave the bottom un-mortared and just use a little mortar at the ends and joint to kind of lock things in place?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Maybe. That's why I'd pull the whole thing out. If it's as loose as the fellow says, it shouldn't be hard.

If there's a metal pan, just put it all back together with a little mortar.

Given the extremely few times I've ever seen flashing done correctly, I'd bet a tooth it's just a sill sitting on the brick.