Getting Started?

Hi Everyone,

I am 24 and will be changing careers around March 2006. The oil refining company I work for now was bought and we are around until this time. I am real interested in getting into the Home Inspection field for a few reasons. I love seeing new homes, construction and the things that go into building homes. I also do not want a 9-5 office job, 2 years was enough for me. My father is also an appraiser, so he knows a lot in this field also.

Are there any tips I can use to get started in this field? What type of experience will I need when I go in search of companies in the Richmond, VA area? Any books I should read? Right now I do not have any construction experience. Any information would be helpful and hopefully point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time and responses!

Scott

I'm pretty sure your state has a license law in place, but I don't know what it requires. That's the place to start. You don't want to put any time and money into things that don't go in the right direction.

Any NY guys out there who can point to the right website?

Brian G.

Hi,

Trying to start off cold is going to be rough - and tough for someone your age without experience in the business. If you want to work in Virginia, contact US Inspect. They're the biggest individual employer in the business. They have a 4 week training course for new inspectors and a good support network, so you'll be paired up with an experienced fellow until you're up to speed.

Their pay will be pretty decent, given the benefits, but probably not on a par with what you make on an oil rig. However, they've got benefits up the ying-yang, medical,dental, 401K, tuition assistance, etc., etc., and are looking for folks in the Richmond area. Learn the business before you decide to go out on your own. Who knows, you might like that outfit so much you retire there.

Go here and tell Pete Cook I sent you to him.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I think if my father were an appraiser, I would consider that first. Biggest drawback, I think is the liability the first few years when you are really green, especially without construction background (not absolutely necessary but you have to work alot harder without it). Read everything you can get your hands on. My feeling is that this career is about 50% common sense, 50% people skills and 50% technical knowledge (didnt Yogi Berra say that?). The technical knowledge is the only thing you can learn from the books. If you don't already have the other 2 skills, think twice. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by homnspector

My feeling is that this career is about 50% common sense, 50% people skills and 50% technical knowledge (didnt Yogi Berra say that?). The technical knowledge is the only thing you can learn from the books. If you don't already have the other 2 skills, think twice. Just my opinion.

A fourth skill...you've got to be able to write. Without a well written, understandable report all the other skills are useless. And learn to avoid "inspector speak."