Respirators

Scorp100

I'm a newbie working on my parallel inspections in the Phoenix area. As I build my assortment of tools, I'd like to ask you veterans about RESPIRATORS. My goal is to avoid illness from molds, dust, fiberglass, etc., but also avoid dangers from cheap equipment that can build up carbon monoxide. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One suggestion was to get one at Sears, but I don’t know what to look for.[:-crazy]

Thanks!

You don't need anything fancy. Just get one that fits you well and be sure to test the seal every time you use it. I've used an inexpensive AO Safety half-face respirator with P100 filters for years. I picked it up at the orange box for around $35. and I buy the filters about a half dozen at a time. I forget what I paid for them.

There isn't anything that's going to filter out CO and doing home inspector work you're not going to be exposed to it unless you're foolish enough to lie down to take a nap in a furnace room someplace.

One Team - One fight!!!

Mike

Mike's Right

I use a AO 1/2 face I bought at the orange box also.

Honest truth is that this time of year I don't wear it unless I have too. the da#N thing is hotter than he!!. If you wear it in an attic, it will be soaked when you come out. I only wear in in crawl spaces under manufactured homes now.

I live around the corner from you in Gilbert, trust me.

Unless you have bad allergies you wont wear it, If you do have bad allergies, you probably wont stay in the business for more than a year anyway.

As stated above, respirators only filter out particals. If you are that concerned about CO either wear a SCBA (aka Scott Air Pack, imagine what firefighters wear) or wear/use a CO detector.

CO is deadly, but the odds of it being in a highy enough concentration to harm you in a short period of time is very low. If you were working inside tanks (water or oil, or other very confined air tight spaces) you should be concerend, but not doing inspecitons.

Falling off a ladder, bumping your head on a nail in the attic or, stepping through the ceiling while in the attic are a lot more likely. When thinking about things like this, play the odds, it will keep you from worring about the small stuff.

Kevin Teitel

House-Pro Inspections

Originally posted by kteitel

As stated above, respirators only filter out particals. If you are that concerned about CO either wear a SCBA (aka Scott Air Pack, imagine what firefighters wear) or wear/use a CO detector.

CO is deadly, but the odds of it being in a highy enough concentration to harm you in a short period of time is very low. If you were working inside tanks (water or oil, or other very confined air tight spaces) you should be concerend, but not doing inspecitons.

Falling off a ladder, bumping your head on a nail in the attic or, stepping through the ceiling while in the attic are a lot more likely. When thinking about things like this, play the odds, it will keep you from worring about the small stuff.

Kevin Teitel

House-Pro Inspections

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Just a clarification. I didn't say I needed to filter CO gases.

A respiratory tech that was at one of my inspections did work with NASCAR drivers, and cautioned me about getting a "cheap" mask that doesn't clear your "exhaled" breaths out (CO) completely. He found a lot of masks (used for longer than I would ever use during an inspection) can build up unwanted gases because they do not easily allow you to get all your exhaled breaths out of the mask. The tech suggested I ask experts in the inspection field.

I'll look for the masks that you guys suggested. thanks again!

Originally posted by Scorp100

. . . Just a clarification. I didn't say I needed to filter CO gases.

A respiratory tech that was at one of my inspections did work with NASCAR drivers, and cautioned me about getting a "cheap" mask that doesn't clear your "exhaled" breaths out (CO) completely. He found a lot of masks (used for longer than I would ever use during an inspection) can build up unwanted gases because they do not easily allow you to get all your exhaled breaths out of the mask. The tech suggested I ask experts in the inspection field.

I'll look for the masks that you guys suggested. thanks again!

Sounds like he's been breathing too many NASCAR fumes. Unless you're a heavy smoker, you aren't going to be exhaling CO. Perhaps he meant CO2?

Any strap-on respirator will hold some of your exhaled air within the mask. In my opinion, the volume is so small compared to the volume of your lungs, that it isn't an issue. I can't imagine the CO2 level building up to any significant level.

Shop for a model that feels good on *your* face. One that fits well on O'Handley's face might not fit so well on mine. Use p-100 cartridges. If you have a beard, a silicone model will work better than the others, though there'll still be some bypass.

If you have to go into nasty crawlspaces, use a full-face model.

- Jim Katen

Hi Scott,

Aren't you concerned with hanta virus? I thought that I heard someplace that there is a much higher ratio of hanta in deer mice down in your neck of the wood.

Yes, that's true.

That is why I wear them under the homes. Our attics are too damn hot[:-hot][:-jump] for any rodents to stay up there,[:-cowboy] they just move into the house or under it.

• 1 year later...