No opening windows...none!

Richard Moore

Something a little different. 1953 3000+sf custom built daylight rambler. One owner since new. Basically frozen in time, with no updates. All original single pane windows. Every window a simple fixed pane, many with separate open-able vents below, but not a single window in the home actually opens, just a few standard exterior doors. This seemed like a good idea at the time?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 121112W010.jpg

92.54?KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 121112W110x.jpg

128.38?KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 121112W107.jpg

84.11?KB

Lots of other funky 50's "state-of-the-art" stuff such as the built-in Hi-Fi and weird lighting system as well as all the original wiring, plumbing, etc, etc. Some of you old-timers might get nostalgic over this wall display of albums.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 121112W079.jpg

91.49 KB

I've seen a fair number of those; fixed panes and ventilators along the floor, sometimes a transom at the top of the wall. I saw one last week...1952-ish.

Post WWII, no established window industry, most windows were still custom fab'ed at lumber yards (frequently called "XYZ Lumber, Sash, and Door", or similar), no AC, things were casting about looking for a direction.

Vents were popular with FLW, and it influenced that generation of architects.

I had one very similar about two weeks ago, I felt like I was in the Brady Bunch house! It was full of classic Knoll and Herman Miller furniture. Everything from a blender that retracted back into a space in the wall to a fold down cook top that came out of the wall. Home was on the market for less than 2 hours before they had multiple offers and ended up in a bidding war.