Overhead Door Opener Elect Eye Location

Jerry Simon

The eye on the left side of the picture is about 6" above the garage floor. The eye on the right side is about 3' above the floor. The door opens and closes just fine, and when I interrupt either eye, the door reverses. The eyes are not slanted and pointing at each other. What am I missing here?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013426184330_Elect%20Eyes.jpg

51.02 KB

Jerry, the emitter and sensor don't function with a laser thin beam. The actual working angle probably varies from model to model, but within that angle, they just need line of sight. Given the distance across a double door, I'm not too surprised a set would still work without being aimed more directly.

BTW, that looks a lot closer to 2' than 3'. Still wrong, but we are now just talking about 18" difference across a 12' opening.

Jerry, the emitter and sensor don't function with a laser thin beam. The actual working angle probably varies from model to model, but within that angle, they just need line of sight. Given the distance across a double door, I'm not too surprised a set would still work without being aimed more directly.

BTW, that looks a lot closer to 2' than 3'. Still wrong, but we are now just talking about 18" difference across a 12' opening.

When I accidentally jostle my eyes when walking by/into 'em, if they're even the slightest bit out of alignment, the door won't close. That's whats throwing me off here.