Looking for a reference.

gtblum

Is there a required minimum distance between the proximity of an exterior water source and electric?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201310415278_%20GTB00002.jpg

34.17 KB

Not that I know of... Codes don't cover stupid! If you think about it, an exterior box like that is going to get wet when it rains.... Not much difference between that and the hose bib. It is a poor location...

Not that I know of... Codes don't cover stupid! If you think about it, an exterior box like that is going to get wet when it rains.... Not much difference between that and the hose bib. It is a poor location...

Scott Patterson

Thanks, Scott.

I considered the weather, then pictured some kid running a steady stream of water directly into the box while taking a nice cool drink from it.

Scott Patterson

Thanks, Scott.

I considered the weather, then pictured some kid running a steady stream of water directly into the box while taking a nice cool drink from it.

You see...that's the kinda stuff i envision. And you call me crazy....

I think we have more in common than you think.

You see...that's the kinda stuff i envision. And you call me crazy....

John Dirks Jr

That's not because of stuff like this. [;)]

Seriously, I try to choose my battles and weigh things out.

I see as much wrong or not quite by the book as the next guy does.

Sometimes I just shake my head, consider the circumstances, and understand what lead to the reasoning behind goofy decisions that are wrong but, really aren't worth worrying about when you compare the test of time to the cost of making something perfect by today's standards.

If you spend enough time working on old houses, you see enough to become somewhat desensitized to what some might turn into being a huge problem, because most of what they know was learned by reading about it, rather than living it.

Bottom line is; The breaker is far enough behind the unit for me to single that out as needing to be moved. It's wrong. Close enough. Does anyone ever find one mounted to the side, where they belong?

Is there a required minimum distance between the proximity of an exterior water source and electric?

There's no minimum distance that I'm aware of, but there's no reason why you can't still point it out as one of the problems with this installation - along with the lack of working space and the lousy installation of the flexible conduit.

In fact, I'd say that the LFNC installation is the worst thing going on in that picture. It looks like the conduit comes straight out in front of the box, interfering with the workspace on its own. It also looks like it could be easily damaged if someone were to push down on it - for instance if a hose got tangled up with it and someone pulled on the hose.