Replacing wood siding with stucco

mojoshtudd

A home we are considering buying has part wood siding and part stucco.

The pictures show the siding areas, basically front and right side.

We prefer the stucco look and would look to removing all siding and replacing with stucco.

The house is ~2700 sq ft total. My guess for the area with sidings is about 700-800 sq ft.

From what I have read so far, it looks like this is a $10/sqft job, labor included. Am I too far off the mark ($8k total)? I figure another $1k or so to remove the siding. This is in Orange County, California.

Are there any other options to mask the appearance of the siding? Is it possible to stucco over the siding without removing it?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201310722101_Home_side.jpg

44.19 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013107221018_Home.jpg

44.13 KB

. . . From what I have read so far, it looks like this is a $10/sqft job, labor included. Am I too far off the mark ($8k total)? I figure another $1k or so to remove the siding. This is in Orange County, California.. . .

In Irvine? I'll bet that a decent contractor will end up costing about twice that.

Isn't Irvine (sort of) the epicenter of "anything goes" stucco applications? Every manner of imbecilic stucco seems to take place out there.

Try to get away from the idea that it's all the same thing. Ask about substrates, how many layers/applications of material, drainage planes, flashing details, etc., etc.