EIFS Detail

Mike Lamb

All those bays on all the innumerable townhouse developments we see are a mess. The EIFS one's are probably the worst, but I've found leaking messes on the metal clad one's too. Some of those jobs up in Yuppietown along Lincoln Ave., the one's with the solid metal fabrications....they leak. Found several where the sellers and/or HOA have "repaired" them, but it was all cosmetic obfuscation.

When I drive up and see those protruding bays, I go into high alert mode. There's always something wrong.

wall-soffit termination is the best way to install these intersecting situations

http://www.wconline.com/articles/print/ ... ll-details

not sure what that daubed crown trim is about other than trying to mask a bad eifs to brick transition...

it's still really bad

I think that photo is playing tricks on the eyes. That is a drainage/weep detail beneath the EIFS bump-out which was one of the good things here.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014114215522_078drain.jpg

39.73 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201411422046_016%20eifs%20weep.jpg

64.61 KB

I did not see any details at the link you provided.

EIFS should not be installed horizontally so you may not find a detail. In the real world it exists and has to be addressed. Lets look at the whole wall as a system.

Under the window it would have been nice if the (EIFS) bottom was sloped with drainage (with flashing) at the bottom. Sometimes in a horizontal situation I recommend installing vents (sometimes eaves vents) to eliminate the "closed box effect".

There should be drainage (including some type of weepage and internal moisture barrier) for all the EIFS. The detail you want will be that of a transition between EIFS and a ledge. (in this case there is simply no horizontal cap on the ledge/top of brick veneer). There should be flashing (through wall) that caps the ledge and diverts water that has drained from the EIFS away from (behind) the top of the brick veneer (structure). This flashing should also slope away from the structure.

There should also be drainage behind the brick veneer, including flashing (through wall) and weep holes at the system bottom and above lintels. There should be an internal moisture barrier that covers the entire substrate, which would run higher than the EIFS drainage/flashing. If appropriate, this flashing should be overlapped with an internal moisture barrier going up (behind the EIFS).

I would also seal the bottoms of the flashing to prevent wind driven rain from entering, but do not seal the top of the flashing, which would impede drainage.