How wrong is this? This is a wood frame stucco chimney shroud on this new construction home I looked at today. Is anyone aware of some references or requirements for chimney shrouds? The fireplace is set up for a gas log set, but currently only has a gas line ran to it and no logs yet. It's a wood burning fireplace with damper and flue.

For one I worry about the obvious wood framed part, but realize the stucco offers some fire rating, but how much? Is it something to worry about?

Secondly clearances to the walls. There's no access to the roof as it's four stories up to measure, but it looks awfully close and the cap does not extend up past the chase cap very much.

This is a very high end home, but I've run across a few obvious things I'm shaking my head at, but not confident on how wrong this is. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kiel

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015260554_IMGP1226.jpg

36.17 KB

Termination for solid fuel can not be within 10' of any part of the building. Gas vents can not terminate less than 8' from a vertical wall. That installation is just like terminating too close to a parapet wall.

The only exception is for terminations at "decorative shrouds" that are listed/labeled for use with the specific vent system and installed per the manufacturer's instructions.

Termination for solid fuel can not be within 10' of any part of the building. Gas vents can not terminate less than 8' from a vertical wall. That installation is just like terminating too close to a parapet wall.

The only exception is for terminations at "decorative shrouds" that are listed/labeled for use with the specific vent system and installed per the manufacturer's instructions.

Good points! Thanks bill!