Varying Estimates

I'm about 1/4 through the author's book 'Stages of Occupational Regulation: Analysis of Case Studies'. The case studies clarify that occupational regulation is motivated mostly by the practitioners of an occupation who are responding to neighboring regulated occupations bent on expanding their range and denying unregulated occupations a chance at legitimacy. It's a turf war that's been going on for decades.

The pursuit of regulation by an occupation usually begins with the occupational association and graduates to the regulatory body once that body has a foothold.

The motivation is indeed money but not in the form of a guvmint revenue stream. It's the occupational practitioners that are chasing better incomes in addition to restricted entry into the profession and control of the labor market.

It's rarely about consumer 'health and safety' though that's the excuse of the policymakers.

Several key points are brought up in the article and reinforced in the book: Policymakers make poorly informed decisions on the statutes that create and tighten occupational regulations. The occupational turf wars need to be understood better, available litmus tests on whether to regulate or not (and how tightly) need to be considered and the effects of regulation on practitioner incomes, consumer costs and service quality needs to be understood better to make regulation work.

Every occupation is different, one scheme does not fit all.

As HI practitioners, as mold inspectors, we can contribute to better regulation, regulation that works.

Marc

I put this on my website years ago and I still have clients and real estate agents ask me if I'm certified to test for mold. It never ends.

http://www.inspection2020.com/mold.pdf

The World Health Organization Europe has 248 pages on indoor air quality/dampness and mould. There finding are there is not sufficient evidence of a causal association between mold inhalation and respiratory problems. However, there is sufficient evidence of an association between the two.

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/p ... E92645.pdf

Click to Enlarge
tn_20168116229_WHO%20Medical%20Findings.jpg

42.95 KB