Big Receptacle Tester ,,, Little Receptacle Tester

Inspector1

Any ideas as to why this is happening? This has only happened (a few times) when I'm checking the outlets in shops. When inserting the big tester into an outlet I get a bad ground reading. If I double check it with a smaller tester it shows the same outlet to be wired properly.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016112403844_IMG_2444.jpg

24.36 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016112404035_IMG_2448.jpg

24.94 KB

[:-magnify [:-monkeyd

I'm aware of shortcomings in a particular circuit design used by most of those little testers in the current market. Perhaps the larger of your two testers has a better design.

You might consider the Tasco Line Load Simulator. I've an older model and have not seen anything that works better.

Marc

Any ideas as to why this is happening? This has only happened (a few times) when I'm checking the outlets in shops. When inserting the big tester into an outlet I get a bad ground reading. If I double check it with a smaller tester it shows the same outlet to be wired properly.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016112403844_IMG_2444.jpg

24.36 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016112404035_IMG_2448.jpg

24.94 KB

[:-magnify [:-monkeyd

My Sure Test analyzer will detect false grounds but my pocket tester will not. The Sure Test will also indicate a false ground if the receptacle within 15-20 feet of the panel.