How Hot?

kurt

I'm shocked I haven't seen it mentioned yet but there are numerous articles and studies that document growth of the bacteria that causes Legionnaires Disease in water heater tanks set at less then 140*. The Min temp to prevent it is actually 130* and the additional 10* is a buffer. 120* is the max to prevent scalding to the very young and old but that should be the temp at the faucet. I always "recommend" citing the new research, installing a mixing valve on the hot water outlet at the water heater and setting the tank to 140*. Especially at homes served by well water. There has been a lot of talk about this on a well known Plumbing/Heating site for a few years now. Pressed for time now but will post supporting studies later.

Hi All,

The nifty AO Smith scald chart below was submitted by Brian Goodman, Columbus, MS. He didn't want me to credit him with submitting it. Too modest, I suppose.

TIJ is about sharing. When folks share, we oughta thank 'em.

Thanks Brian! You're a mensch!

OT - OF!!!

M.

Image Insert:

200762165743_AO_SmithScaldTimeChart.jpg

126.38 KB

I ran across that somewhere in my surfing and kept it. I include it in the report whenever I find a high setting, and it seems to get peoples attention. To me the big jump is between 130 - 140, where the time to react and get away drops from 30 seconds (lots of time) to less than 5 seconds (very little time).

I did one Monday that was set at 160°...ouch!

And Mike, thanks for the tip on getting the degree symbol to come up. I love it.

Brian G.

Girlfriends Can't Be Too Hot, But Water Can [:-hot]