p-traps

rlskfoster

I think it would function, assuming it's vented. However, there's this from the 2003 IRC:

P3201.2 Trap seals and trap seal protection

Traps shall have a liquid seal not less than 2 inches (51 mm) and not more than 4 inches (102 mm).

There's one exception, for floor drains. I'd say what you've got there may hold more than 4 inches, but you'd know better than I and it seems like sort of a fine point anyway. Any plumbing guru's want to weigh in?

Brian G.

More Familiar With "Tender Traps" [:-eyebrow

Without knowing where the "trap arm" goes to (exits picture right) or the slope (tough to tell from a photo) there are a couple of IRC codes that might apply.

The first is P3105.1 which says that the distance from the trap weir to the vent fitting (basically the trap arm length) can be no more than 6' for an 1½" pipe (8' for 2" pipe).

The second is P3105.2 which, interpreted, says that the total fall or downslope in the trap arm cannot exceeed one pipe diameter (1½"? in this case)

I believe both the above are intended to ensure proper venting and prevent siphoning.

There is also the "no more than 24" rule for the vertical distance from the fixture to the trap. If that's a shower or tub it may be OK. If it's from a sink then not.

It is 2 inch pvc and if I remember right it they would probably both tie to the main drain within 8 foot.

It is more than four inches, I would say about six to eight inches.

One of them was off a tub and the other was from a washer box so it would definately exceed the 24 inch rule.

The only vents in this house came from the toilets. I had written up a couple of s-traps under sinks but I forgot about venting the other drains. Could you put air admittance valves somewhere? That was what I suggested for the sink traps.

This was an old house out in the country and had been remodeled many times over. Most of it incorrectly.

Thanks for the good info on plumbing.

Buster

Buster,

I believe your first impression as being a 'total waste of glue and couplings' is correct.

Firstly, a plumbing waste trap is a fitting with specific engineering to control waste in a specified manner. There are numerous criteria that must be met. For example, the tail piece and trap arm must be within a certain length. The piping must slope within a certain tolerance usually 1/4": 1'-0", that's to ensure we move solids to their destination point etc.

I don't see this installation as meeting any of the above criterias.

You are correct "it is a waste..."

I particularly like the tight 90 [:-taped]