Lower ridge vent

Trent Tarter

I thought this might be interesting. I have been seeing this type of lower continuous ridge vent installed about 5 feet up from eaves.  The pics is this example were called out for poor installation. I found out they are installing this type of venting to meet fire code when the homes roof lines are located close together in developments.    

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

We call them "under-shingle intake vents" and they're getting more popular here as well, not just to meet fire codes. 

They avoid the occasional issue of steam rising up off wet walls in the morning and flowing into the attic via soffit vents. 

I wonder, though, how they perform in ice-dam country. 

4 hours ago, Jim Baird said:

Our state fire codes call for 20' min distance between bldgs unless the walls are rated construction.  I don't see how this vent is any remedy for fire risk.

It's an alternative to soffit vents, which can scoop up flames and smoke from a burning neighboring building. You can't have soffit vents in a rated wall. 

On 8/24/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jim Katen said:

It's an alternative to soffit vents, which can scoop up flames and smoke from a burning neighboring building. You can't have soffit vents in a rated wall. 

Thanks, Jim.
The only time I ever visited Vail, Colorado the thing that struck my eye was the number of buildings that were so close together that I don't think you could wedge a paint brush between one eave and another.  That must be why slim rollers were invented.