Foggy windows

dexy123

I just bought a new house (built in 2005) and the windows (Vinylite, sliders) become fogged and iced up on a cold winter day. This is not just normal fog and ice, the fog encompasses the entire window and the ice is thick around the edges. I even had it on the vinyl, well below the window. I have noticed that people around this area put there windows in and then apply house wrap up to the window, not behind it. They do not flash out the sill and do not flash out the nailing flange. The windows also let in a lot of cold air. What's the problem, any ideas?

Is the moisture between the insulated glass? If so it is a seal failure. Glass needs replacing.

If not check these:

1. Do you have blinds on the windows? If so you are restricting the heat from getting at them making the glass colder. Open the blinds a few inches to allow warm air to the glass.

2. what is the humidly level in the house. If it is mid thirties or better it is too high. Reduce it by using bath fans when you shower.

Turn your furnace fan on an let it run. Run a dehumidifer or air to air exchanger if you have one.

As Carl said, check the humidity level in the home. If you have a humidifier on the furnace it may be set to high. I keep ours at around 23-25%. Just enough to keep the static electricity down. Another problem with high humidity in a home is that it will travel through drywall where it can condense on the cold side which can cause mold.

Not to beat a dead horse but use a humidistat to check moisture levels in the house. Even though the humidifier is set low you have had a ton of moisture dumped in the house during construction. Your next steps will be with the builder, if he is unwilling to work with you on this then go direct to the manufacturer and get one of thier rep's out. They will ask you much the same as I have. My experience has been that moistures is generally not a problem with the window but one of the house. Even the best glass coating result in limited R-values. Leaky windows tend to reduce humidity levels. This is why you may see no moisture on the windows of an older home.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by dexy123

I just bought a new house (built in 2005) and the windows (Vinylite, sliders) become fogged and iced up on a cold winter day. This is not just normal fog and ice, the fog encompasses the entire window and the ice is thick around the edges. I even had it on the vinyl, well below the window. I have noticed that people around this area put there windows in and then apply house wrap up to the window, not behind it. They do not flash out the sill and do not flash out the nailing flange. The windows also let in a lot of cold air. What's the problem, any ideas?

i built a house in 2005 and the lumder yard sent these windows and doors i didn't order (vinylite). i'm now trying to get them replaced by weatherization because you described them to a T.

i have frost an inch thick on them,the cold air blows through them and the rain comes through.i can't heat the house enough to stay warm. when the wind blows these windows and doors rattle cuz there is no seal. the manufacture won't do anything about it and i have the BBB involved. GOOD LUCK

Originally posted by dexy123

Assuming that you have Insulated Glass Units, are they "foggy/icing" on the inside (between the lites of glass) or are they foggy on the outside of the unit (interior or exterior) ? Is this phenomenon happening to all of the units or just on or two? When they dry up, is there water remaining inside the I.G.U.?

You need to determine this in order to figure out if it's bad seals or high humidity in the house.

Originally posted by StevenT

Assuming that you have Insulated Glass Units, are they "foggy/icing" on the inside (between the lites of glass) or are they foggy on the outside of the unit (interior or exterior) ? Is this phenomenon happening to all of the units or just on or two? When they dry up, is there water remaining inside the I.G.U.?

You need to determine this in order to figure out if it's bad seals or high humidity in the house.

thank you for your reply

all my windows and padio doors have air that comes though where the sliders meet. they have an inch of ice on the inside of the glass(outside of the interior glass,i then have water on my floor or carpet) and vinyle. when i slide up my windows they have so much play in them its hard to slide them straight up and down. when the wind blows the whole window rattles in its frame,padio doors also.i turely beleive there are no seals in these windows and doors. those plastic H divders (not sure what you call them) inbetween the window rattle when the wind blows,so i beleive there is no gas inbetween these windows and doors. thank you for your time

So Lee,

I think you have answered your own question. perhaps it is time for new... properly installed windows and doors. This can be a costly investment, but I don't see how you can avoid it.

But first,

You may want to try contacting the manufacturer, there is a possibility that there are some missing pieces/filler tracks or perhaps the sashes themselves are the wrong size for the frames. Also, there is usually weather stripping (it may look like short hairs embedded in a plastic strip), which slips into a thin groove. They should be in the space where the windows/doors overlap and/or where the sash fits into the frame. Like I stated, call the mfgr. and see what they have to say.

By the way, if a slider is installed inside out, the weatherstripping will be rendered useless. If you can see it, it's wrong. If you can't lock the windows, it's usually wrong.

If you should decide to replace them, remember that you get what you pay for. So get a decent window and make sure you have it installed properly.

thank you steven,i'm in the process of getting these windows and doors replaced now. i did build this house in 2005 and the lumber yard did a pick and switch on me.i had the manufacture here with in 30 days and they told me striaght out they were not going to do anything about it.i'm also going to call NFRC. thak you for the info

Originally posted by StevenT

So Lee,

I think you have answered your own question. perhaps it is time for new... properly installed windows and doors. This can be a costly investment, but I don't see how you can avoid it.

But first,

You may want to try contacting the manufacturer, there is a possibility that there are some missing pieces/filler tracks or perhaps the sashes themselves are the wrong size for the frames. Also, there is usually weather stripping (it may look like short hairs embedded in a plastic strip), which slips into a thin groove. They should be in the space where the windows/doors overlap and/or where the sash fits into the frame. Like I stated, call the mfgr. and see what they have to say.

By the way, if a slider is installed inside out, the weatherstripping will be rendered useless. If you can see it, it's wrong. If you can't lock the windows, it's usually wrong.

If you should decide to replace them, remember that you get what you pay for. So get a decent window and make sure you have it installed properly.