Greetings and thank you in advance for any professional advice that may be made available.

I am beginning to plan for a 24'x20' workshop, sound studio build. Although sound reinforcement is of concern, this structure will not require a high end professional recording environment. My primary business is music instruction and some demo recording for songwriting. However as I've stated, some consideration will be given to sound transfer. I do know that concrete slab can be a pretty good way for sound and vibration to transfer outside so I am not sure if such design would be most preferred.

I had read an article where a similar project was constructed on slab, with a single layer of concrete and rebar cinder block footings. tthenset on top of the slab as needed, 2"x4" flooring filled with ffoam insulation was used for risers for all amplifiers, drums, speakers to sit atop, etc.

An issue with a foundation and crawl space is not ideal due to the ambient sound that the void below can cause. The insulation required to correct this issue can become very expensive.

Economically it seems that a 4 or 6" slab with cinder block footings may be a better bet, or please if any one has alternate advice I will certainly welcome it!

All my best, Chris

Edited by monolithsound
mispelling

I would stretch the 20 ft dimension to 22, because that can be subdivided into 2 10'6" rooms, have done that myself. 22' X 22' is similar size but more usable, and the spans allow 14' joists with a central wall or beam.

My rental suite is 22' X 22' with a gable roof. A 2' overhang at either gable ends gives it a rectangular roof, looks good. Bedroom is 10' 6" X 13', that foot makes a difference. For a studio, you can have a narrow booth but anything under 10 ' wide feels cramped.

I poured the footing and foundation wall in one pour, cheaper than buying blocks and no tedious leveling and mortaring. then I hired a young guy to pour the floor on a day off from his usual concrete work. Here, we lay down pink foamboard before laying steel and concrete. It is costly but saves heating costs also a tight layer of poly blocks vapor.

You can lay a thick foam underlay and a plywood or laminate floor or carpet on the slab.

Build walls with 2X6, costs only a bit more than 2X4s, but almost doubles  insulation figures.