Step up height from porch/patio to interior floor

Scottpat

I need some help. I can not locate in the IRC the required step up height from a porch or patio into the interior of a home.

I have a home that has water entering the interior because the patio and porch are the same level as the interior of the home. This is a slab foundation.

I hope this is addressed in the IRC!!

Scott,

We in GA are still under IRC2000, amended. I am not aware of any requirement execpt maximum height from top of an exterior door's threshold to a landing surface outside. (1 1/2") An exception is granted for one full riser height below, and one in 2003 IRC for exterior side that grants no landing there if two risers or less lead to the door.

Beyond that is only positive slope requirements from a building (5 degrees). I thopught I had seen an amendment for paved areas outside minimum slope, but haven't as yet pegged it.

Scott,

The only refrence you can probably use is:

R401.3 Drainage. Surface drainage shall be diverted to a storm sewer conveyance or other approved point of collection so as to not create a hazard. Lots shall be graded so as to drain surface water away from foundation wall. The grade away from foundation walls shall fall a minimum of 6 inches (152 mm) within the first 10 feet (3048 mm).

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com

Thanks to everyone. I scoured the IRC and could not find it simply stated. Humm, IRC and "Simply Stated" wow that's an oxymoron!

I'm really surprised it does not say something as simple as the interior floor must be ____ higher than the exterior landing, patio or whatever.