Rafter bracing

peterk2

As I sometimes tend to do, I get into situations that I should have run from. This is one of them.

New construction, no roof framing plans. Just a set of elevations and floorplans with notes. General notes for roof uses the term "hogs" as in

use two 2x6 hogs with two 2x4 braces.

As I said, there are no framing plans and I can't seem to find any reference to "hogs" ( Harley or otherwise) in my builders books. Can anyone enlighten me? Maybe its a regional term. Thanks.

Peter K

Argyle Home Inspections

Originally posted by peterk2

New construction, no roof framing plans. Just a set of elevations and floorplans with notes. General notes for roof uses the term "hogs" as in

use two 2x6 hogs with two 2x4 braces.

As I said, there are no framing plans and I can't seem to find any reference to "hogs" ( Harley or otherwise) in my builders books. Can anyone enlighten me? Maybe its a regional term. Thanks.

Peter K

Argyle Home Inspections

I don't know about "hogs" but a "hog trough" is two pieces of wood nailed together lenghwise so that, in section, they form an ell or "trough."

What kind of swine would provide plans without roof framing? I say you should call the AHJ and squeal on them.

- Jim Katen, Oregon