3 Layer Roof ?

AngelaB

I purchased my home in 2001 and at the time it had 3 roof layers on it (it is just a regular ranch home). After I had the inspection done, the inspector pointed out the things that I should be leary of and things that were just old and eventually would need repair/replacement. One in the later category was the roof. He said, yes, three layers, eventually will need a complete tear off as is code but otherwise should get another 15 years out of it (was not that old). So now, five years later I am trying to sell my house and the buyer had a home inspection and listed the three layers of roof but not anything in particular wrong with it, i.e. falling off shingles or leaking or curling. Nothing. But, because of that, buyer wants me to take $10,000 of price of home. I already priced the house in mid range of what my realator recommended because of things like cracked driveway, roof, bathroom not remodeled etc and my price had that reflected in it.

I came down another $5000 on the deal when he put in an offer and now he wants another $10000 off. He came back and looked at the house 3 times and I was told he was in the construction business. So, am I to stick to my beliefs that this was a known thing especially to someone in the business and he is trying to come down in price (who doesn't want to save a buck).

My most important question being, if there are three layers of roof, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it? I mean, eventually it will be bad when it goes for whoever has to take it all off but there can be three layers on and still be ok, right?

Thanks for your advice.

Angela (help-help-help)

Angela, the crux of your question is not inspection related, so any opinion you get will be a learned personal one.

An inspection is a snap-shot in time and reflects the condition of the house at the time of inspection. Fact - there are three layers on roof. Fact - it is performing as intended. Fact - if your logic holds, then you should discount for the furnace that will eventually wear out; then the water heater, etc..

Fact (my opinion) - let your agent work this out and if it were me, let him buy another place.

Let the kibitzing begin!

Yeah, they're muscling you. Maybe the market supports it, maybe not.

3 layer roofs aren't good, but they are not necessarily bad either. They're just a pain in the butt in certain conditions, & they are definitely more work when replacement time comes.

Sounds like the guy is just working an angle to get another $10,000 off......

Hi,

I agree. Sure, 3-layers is stupid, but I see it a lot on older homes. They throw a new cover on in the hopes that it will help the house sell faster. When an inspector calls it, the seller sticks to his/her guns and the buyer either accepts it, knowing that they'll end up spending an additional $1500 to $2000 for tear-off, dumpster and tipping costs when they eventually renew it, or they walk away. You accepted it and bought it fully informed. It's been performing for you. He can do the same or find another house and he knows it.

If he didn't want it pretty badly, he wouldn't have been back 3 times already. He's just busting your chops and hoping you'll cave in. You came down $5,000 already. If he was in the construction business, he can probably put a new cover on for a third of what it will cost the average non-professional. You are now actively engaged in a game of chicken. He's hoping that you'll swerve first. Will you?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Being in the roofing industry for the past 19 years, I can say with all likely hood if the roof has 3 layers, it probably is leaking in places. You may not see the water coming thru the attic, but water will be in between the layers. If it's a ranch with a lower pitch (maybe a 5/12) it should have a hump at the gutter line that will be the main problem. I often get called in to check a roof during the selling process. When it is not repairable and the buyer and seller go back and forth, I recommend for them to split the cost which sounds like is exactly what you have done. It's not a new new house so why should it have a brand new roof and you have to pay for all of it??