Norm Sages Great Marketing Tips Article

DLRambo

I read Norm Sages fantastic marketing article (I think he called it Itegral Decline or something like that)and got a whole bunch of great ideas on how to market to the local realestators. Man you guys in South Florida really know how to do it right.

Several things did confuse me however - what in the world could someone be looking at in a 2500 sf house to keep them there 3 hours - I think 35 to 45 minutes must be the norm around here from what the "Used House Commissioned Sales People" tell me. The other thing is how could some supposed expert come up with $200,000 worth of defects in a house. Everyone knows that those type of comments would be alarming to a buyer. Please remember the point of a home inspection is to make our STAKEHOLDERS feel they've had a warm & fuzzy experience.

Dan Bowers (KC)

P.S. Norm we talked about that tape before - is it ready to air yet??

Actually Dan, Norm is one of the good guys. I do disagree with him however that nothing can be done about the problem. I think that the great State Massachusetts has taken a very significant first step. If we can't correct the problem on our own, then we deserve, and will eventually get government regulation. Perhaps branding will serve to expidite regulation.

George

Norm is right...ON! It's tough to compete with someone who caters to the 'zoids', but I tell it like it is, and sleep well at night. I'm in favor of state testing to weed out some old dead growth and let the light of respectability and honesty shine through. I WON'T lower my standards and smooth it over. OK i'm done now......ramble.......ramble.........ramble.

Renron

I know Norm is one of the good guys. My post is called your leg #101. Ken Young and I served together on a National HI Groups BOD for several years and saw eye to eye on most everything Norm said. Ken just had a more tactful or diplomatic way of saying it than I.

Whats pathetic about my post is I keep seeing more and more of our HI's go that way.

Dan Bowers

Hi All,

I've been looking through all of the articles that Norm wants to contribute to the cause. This guy has a lot of energy!

I'm thinking of giving him his own column on the front page where we can put all of this stuff. I'm struggling with the name though. After reading through this stuff, I'm not sure whether it should be called:

Norm Says [:-boring]

Norm's Rant [:-grumpy]

The Beef [:-headache]

Listen Up Maggots! [:-gnasher]

Don't Ask Norm...Just Listen [:-irked]

The Curmudgeon's Corner [:-mean]

Norman's Stormin' [:-skull]

The Sage Speaks [:-graduate]

Sage Advice [}:)]

Shut-Up And Listen [:-yuck]

Normfucious Says [:-hypnotized]

None of them really 'sing' to me. Waddayu guys think? [;)]

OT - OF!!!

M.

I did a 2-family house today where the realtor was also the seller. He did say good morning, but the second sound out of his mouth was ...I'm working today, I have an appointment at 12:00 will you be done by then? You should have see his face when I told him 6 hours minimun (Started at 10:00AM). After I turned back to him (I had to hide my laughter), he said his inspector (I believe they wear blue shirts) would only be 2 hrs. I must admit I did finish early, only 5:45 minutes.

Hey Norm, when the realtors call you to inspect their house (or their son's), don't you love it when they also ask for "a realtors discount?"

Darren

New twist in Kansas City this week. Just met 2 young men that have been hired by mortgage brokers (or mortgage lenders???). They've been sent to a HI school for the purpose of the lender offering a "Special Deal Package" to the folks applying for real estate loans with them.

Take their "Special Package" and (1) you don't owe any money till closing; (2) you get a discount on the various services; and (3) they will line up everything for you so you don't waste your valuable time dealing with folks like us.

The lenders "Special Package" is the loan, the appraisal, the termite inspection, the home inspection and I've been told - several other services like title insurance, property insurance, etc. One call does it all.

If 1 lender is starting to do this I wonder if others will follow.

Dan Bowers

Like Norm said.

I fully expect this to become a major trend, & I also expect the large services corporations who are now in the home inspection business to lead the way. I also expect a great many (potential) customers to think it is a great idea.

Dennis' IHINA is one avenue for enlightenment of the masses. Developing a business plan to counter this sort of mess will be absolutely necessary. The single man shop leading a simple life, once the standard, is going to quickly become the anomaly. Kinda scary.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. My name is Peter Krija. I was taught renovations since young, then joined my 3rd generation family construction company then went on my own at 17 years of age. I have been a building inspector (my own firm since 1987) and a REALTOR for over 12 years. What I think your industry lacks in your area is 1. A fund where money can be spent to educate the home inspection benefits to a buyer. 2. A branch association committee should be ongoing in offering articles to newspapers and magazines that are regional in distribution to your branch. 3. Ongoing information like a list of recommended inspectors, prices and time it takes to inspect and what the client recieves sent to regional lawyers and title insurers and anyone that will listen. When one reads your article it is obious how disapointed you are that the REALTORS have such an influence with the buyer in inspector choice. I agree. Often it is self serving. I will not offer or practice if there is a conflict and must be very careful not to create a conflict of interest. I am Canadian and live in Hamilton Ontario. I advocate for my client be they buyer or seller and accompany the REALTOR and inspector working for the other side and advocate for my client the seller and point out the good in a home. Even though a book gives the life expectancy for different products no one knows how long a heat exchanger or compressor or cast iron pipe etc, will last based on expected life. Obvious repair requirement is different. First time buyers especially get sticker shock not because any defect was uncovered, because the estimated or anticipated budget amount to maintain the subject home is very high. Even though most buyers have this information in hand-their emotions still rule the day and if all they are looking for is slight encouragement from anyone (provided the home is not a disaster) then what is the harm? No home is perfect. No buyer will find a perfect home. No builder can build a perfect home. It all distills to integrety, honour, knowlegde and experience and I am very happy to tell you not all professionals behave the way you think too many in your area do. P.S. It takes in my opinion an average of 3 to 5 hours from start to finish an inspection on-site. You have to say hello and explain things to a client then you have to create the report and bill them and get paid. Regards, Peter Krija.

Welcome Peter,

A realtor with whom I can agree. You are not that far from me geographically either. I am in the North Detroit, Port Huron, blue water area.

I write up every major concern that I find. I also include what the approximate cost to repair should be. I don't care about cosmetic flaws and the summary section of my report explains the historic (phenomenal) return on investment real estate has been.

An honest detached inspection is all I think any buyer wants. First time buyers often have to have it explained just exactly what we mean by the word "investment".

George

Originally posted by a46geo

Welcome Peter,

I write up every major concern that I find. I also include what the approximate cost to repair should be. I don't care about cosmetic flaws

George

George

If both eyes of yours worked then you would be able to see the minor concerns also. [:-jump]

How many minor concerns equal a major concern?

I write up all concerns, but I'm no deal killer.[:-jump2]

Captain