Calling Realtors

truhome

Just so's I don't appear to be something that I'm not.....

I'm not going all holy here; I get realtor referrals, and I take them. I don't ask for them. The (very) few ethical realtors in my world send me a few jobs & I'm glad to get them.

I've got a marketing plan that is going to tangentially target realtors (and a lot of other professionals), but it's more an information thing than a plea for work.

I had my epiphany about 18 years ago; luckily, no one got burnt, I paid a little money, & I got a cheap lesson on which side of the bread I should be putting the butter.

I've ridden out the hard time when the big boys & girls were actively trying to run my ass out of town, and I think I've made it out to the other side. Now, they can't talk me down without making themselves look cheap.

I might still hit the wall; I'm small potatoes & the tiniest fish in the pond. But, I don't plan on hitting the wall because I cut my customer's out of the deal.

I also do not actively solicit Realtor referrals (I used to) but get plenty of them. I work with some good people. Buyer brokers and others that sincerely want the best for their clients. They refer their family and friends to me and I do all the inspections for properties they buy. Why would I turn this down?

It sounds really scary "back east". Those Realtors must be the devil incarnate if they can manipulate you like that! I too would stay well clear of any Realtor referrals if I had the experiences you all have had. Boy, be careful out there!!

Just remember - a referral from a realtor is only as good as your last report (in thier eyes). One deal gone sour (in a realtors eyes) due to a report, and they move on to someone different (usually cheaper). That being said, I think most new inspectors probably need to solicit realtors to get started. You have to get your business somewhere. Try to go to their weekly / monthly meetings and speak for 10 minutes. I have an inspector friend who brings hot coffee and donuts to his offices every now and then. Works every time for him. Do your job, and do it well, and you will start to receive referrals from both your clients and the sellers whose homes you inspect. Soon you will not need to solicit realtors.

Ever since I made my first reply to this thread have been logging on every day to check the replies. I see lots of realtor bashing and plenty of inspectors claiming they never use realtors, but never really mentioned how to get business. What's the alternative? Sorry if you tell me family and friends I just don't buy it. Is it purely marketing to sellers by hitting the for sale signs? Just curious.[:-graduat

Originally posted by chicago

Ever since I made my first reply to this thread have been logging on every day to check the replies. I see lots of realtor bashing and plenty of inspectors claiming they never use realtors, but never really mentioned how to get business. What's the alternative? Sorry if you tell me family and friends I just don't buy it. Is it purely marketing to sellers by hitting the for sale signs? Just curious.[:-graduat

It's not quitting the day job & slugging it out for several years until it starts clicking.

Ugly truth.....

Originally posted by chicago

Check out http://www.independentinspectors.org/ Dennis used to have a lot of good information on home inspector marketing that doesn't involve soliciting agent referrals. You might have to join his cult to get access to it.

I think you'll find that the older inspectors who say they never solicit realtor referrals have a fat referral base of happy past customers.

Of course that doesn't help someone who's just starting out. I suggest you start a new thread asking about how to get work without soliciting realtors. You might try searching past threads also. I believe that the subject comes up regularly.

- Jim Katen, Oregon